Infiniti QX 56 vs. LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im 99% sure I am going with the 200.. It's just hard to beat a Cruiser. I really havent warmed to the looks of the 200 all that much. I really think the 100 is better looking. To me the 200 just looks bland. But, other than that, its an excellent vehicle. I was looking at prices of older G Wagens and maybe down the road I mite sell the 62 and RRC and get one as a second vehicle. Prices on older G's aren't all that terrible. Then again, I've always wanted a D110.... :hmm:

Sorry for the hijack :eek:

I owned an 02 G500. It felt like a tank but it was full of little electrical issues. Had to get the back door fixed (it wouldn't open) about 5 times and the same with the rear passenger doors. Great truck and v likable despite these minor annoyances and being very common in SoCal. However, I'm happier I have a '10 LC200 now.

As regards the Infiniti, they are huge compared the LC and much more road biased. it's an all new design and platform for the guy who posted a pic of his QX which is based on the Titan. The new one is based on the new "Patrol" platform but it doesn't bare any resemblance to the previous Patrol, either externally or as regards the hardware under the skin. The new QX is similar to the LX570 interior (both lag behind the Range Rover interior, obviously) but with more of a Sequoia as regards interior space and off road ability.

If you want a true 7-seater with great luxo features then get the QX, but if you want more of a true 4x4 that can also work as a great tourer then I'd get the LC which won't be getting replaced until around 2018.

How would you compare the GW to the 200 ? As in size, ride, features, etc ??

I agree s little bit with your LC200 "blandness" observation. If your want to break up the bumper to bumper flat look, consider getting the door flares(that is not what they are called, but the LX570 has them standard). I added to my LC200 I think they add nice lines. There is a thread about these about a year or so ago. Just an option.

How would you compare the GW to the 200 ? As in size, ride, features, etc ??

First off, I completely agree about the looks of the 200 compared to the 100. The 100 is the better looking vehicle and, despite being conservative itself, looks interesting compared to the 200. That said, the 200 is rather bland/so-so rather than hideous like the new QX (opinions are subjective and may vary) and I bought it as I wanted an LC not the latest in fine art. (though at the best part of 80k some more thought would've been nice, 'Yota.)

On to the G. It is best compared to a super luxurious Defender from a "first impressions" standpoint. I owned a Defender 90 (TD5) when living in Europe and the proximity to the windshield and outer edges of the doors are something the two vehicles share.

Something I preferred on the G was the weight of the controls - from the steering to the brakes to the throttle. This is most likely because I am an Audi/BMW guy rather than a Lexus buyer where my sedans are concerned so the lightness of the Land Cruiser controls took some getting used to.

Maneuvering the G was easier as it was easier to see the outer edges of the truck. In the 200, it's hard to tell where the front corners begin and end. It has a camera for reversing, the G doesn't need one even with the spare will obstructing the view.

With the Land Cruiser, I feel a lot safer taking family and friends out. The G does fee very solid but there is no hiding it's 1970s underpinnings and a side impact would likely not end well. I have, touch wood, not been involved in a major accident yet but driving standards are decreasing year on year and speeds increasing so paint me paranoid and happier in the LC from this perspective.

The later years (I believe 07 and on) Gs received a new instrument cluster as the old ones were lifted from the W203 C-Class. They were fine but dated. That said, the interior felt very solidly put together. Of course, the doors all shut like bank vaults but as I mentioned in my earlier posts the finniky electrics mean opening them is not always as fun and often involved me crawling over from the other side.

The G has MASSES of room if you are moving FOUR people or LESS plus luggage. The vehicle is very narrow, something masked by the fender flares, so sitting in the middle of the second row is advised for short trips only. The height of the truck creates a real sense of airiness, there is so much headroom it's insane and this means the rear compartment can handle a lot more stuff than the LCs. Not sure if the numbers back this up, but in reality this is how it is. The LC can seat FIVE plus luggage on long journeys and, for shorter journeys, you can move 7 or 8 but then there's no room for gear.

The ride of the G is not bad at all. Like the LC, it will crash over certain bumps and this will be transmitted into the cabin far more than is say a modern Range Rover but it is not uncomfortable. The LC does suppress this better.

As regards handling, slowing down for corners is advisable in both as body lean is fairly noticeable. LC edges it though. Both have more than enough power, the LC has more but the G can now be had in G550 form (380bhp) or as a G55 AMG (a 5.4 liter which in 04 gained a Kompressor for 470bhp) though you'd need to redirect the tail pipes on the latter.

Off road, I do not do any rock crawling but do enjoy some mudding and some "medium grade trails". Both vehicles waltz this with with aggressive tread patterns, LC has more ground clearance, the G has better approach/departure angles. The G had f,r and center lockers from what I can remember and this is nice to have but for steep sloped the LC counters with decent control. I'll say no more on this as the subject has been trampled to death and I'm sure you know about getting trail ready than me.

In conclusion, both are great and rugged vehicles. They are crude on-road compared to X5s (the LC less crude), the LC has the more modern and spacious interior and rides a little better, the G is better looking but more common. For me, I had money to spend and had a shortlist of the LR4 (Great truck but 19s are the smallest wheel that will fit due to gimpy caliper design), RR(been burned in the past with engine and trans, too common), G550(had one, fun but dated), GL550(on-road only) and LC200. I chose the LC200 and am very happy with my choice and would do the same again.

Sorry for the huge post and let me know if you have any more questions. I'm sick so have the day off work hence the long winded reply.

I agree s little bit with your LC200 "blandness" observation. If your want to break up the bumper to bumper flat look, consider getting the door flares(that is not what they are called, but the LX570 has them standard). I added to my LC200 I think they add nice lines. There is a thread about these about a year or so ago. Just an option.

Definitely help..

LC Fender Flares.jpg
LC Fender Flares.jpg

twstrchasr, your pics also show fender flares, correct? I went back and the correct term for the door molding is "side molding". The post was 2-13-10. It gave the Toyota Dealer in Washington where you could buy them. My new 2011 is on it's way. They wanted $498 installed at the port for these. I paid $210.10 freight included for the molding plus $80 for the body shop to install. Anyway, I like them and intend on putting them on my 2011.

I know what you are taking about. Never actually seen them on a 200.. They help with door "dings" somewhat.

I just can't get over the GX's humped mid-cab, and boxed rear cab transition. It literally looks like Nissan's designers kitbashed two different rigs together, it's hideous.

That's one credit I must give Toyota, their designs are purposeful, thought-out and graceful while on the cutting-edge of the modern style, without being overbearingly so, or just concocting something stupid, like the Armada's spliced cab, or the Cube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom