in dash stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just need to know if a standard size head unit will fit in the hole in my dash without having to cut it. There's nothing in there now but the plastic insert that came from the factory. Also, what does it attach to behind the dash, do I need to make a bracket off the top of the heater unit?

Peggsy,
Sorry, what is the model/year?

HMMM, not positive, but I believe it is not a standard DIN. You should check Crutchfield.com I've had decent experience with them and they generally send you everything you need, including the harness and bracket.

I haven't seen someone get one really secure in there (again, not sure about the 78 dash). I have been very happy with the weathertightness, security and look of my Tuffy console between the front seats. Fit a CD head unit in there with an amp hidden in another locker under the rear bench.

if its the same as the 79, the hole is the right height, but is too narrow by a couple of centimetres. It should have 2 partial brackets bent out of the dash 1/4 way down the sides of the holes and another one at the bottom of the hole, as well as a nut welded to the firewall as a securer for the radio. I found all the brackets to be next to useless, but by bending one side of the hole a bit larger, the radio fit very snugly, and does not move around at all, even without any mounting screws. normal size radios also just clear the firewall and happily sit on the heater assembly, so there is nothing to it if you can get it in the hole. by the look of things NA yotas got plastic s*** all over the dash which we didn't get till '80+, which may be getting in your way too?

sam

It's an aussie one, so no plastic. The bench seat rules out a centre console, but it looks like an overhead console would probably be an easy way to mount it without damaging the dash. It would also give me somewhere to mount the UHF too. Don't s'pose anyone has any good ideas/pics for a cheap home made console to suit a hardtop? I guess I could probably knock one up out of a bit of ply and some carpet?

i thought i had a picture of mine around somewhere, but i cant find it. It just a ply plank running across the top with a strip of pine along the face for support. It worked fine and looked ok untill i started putting weight up there - 27meg and sawtron kg107, then it started bouncing round a bit, so i put a strip of aluminium angle the length and drilled the roof to fit support bolts. It works really well now, and supports the weight of the radios and the speakers without moving. As long as the plank stretches the width of the roof, the only mount points you will need are 2 small bits of angle aluminium bent accordingly and bolted to the sunvisor screw holes.

the entire back section of the ceiling of my car has been done with ply planks. They really provide a handy storage solution. I dont know what i would have done without them over the past 4 years.

Sam

Peggsy if your in oz try one of the big car stereo outfits like gardiner electronics or strathfield car sterio .They sell all that sort of stuff for DIY.To support your stereo you can use adjustable hangers. I had a similar problem in a car once

my 78 dash had already been beat on (literally) and was still to small for a standard CD player so I enlarged it slightly to the passenger side and pressed on. I like finally having tunes in my FJ40 but it would be more comfortable to control in a center tuff console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom