Importing 1980 FJ45 PU from Abu Dhabi to Norcal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a buddy who lives in Abu Dhabi, he just scored this beauty and wants to bring to CA and register it. 1980 FJ45 Pick up. Any recommendations as to what is needed?

Thank you!!

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

more headache than it is worth. I'll give him 10,000 Dirham for it & he can walk away from the whole mess a happy guy. My only caveat is that I'll need him to drop it off at port for me. :)

But seriously, is it titled in his name already or no? If it isn't, he'll have an easier time on this side to title it in his name & then export it.
Book it into a 20' container (he can roro, but if that truck is as nice as it looks, the protection of the container will be worth a few extra bucks.

He'll need the C.I. (assuming he titles it first, otherwise legal bill of sale & original vehicle title docs too), and the import docs from Customs. Plus the EPA exemtion & DOT exemption certs, signed by him when he goes to the DMV. CBP docs are 3461 & 7501.

It isn't that hard to do. Roro will require an certified mechanic inspection statint the truck has no leaks, and you will want to hit it with a power sprayer to remove all dirt, etc...

Import
Title
Drive
Enjoy.

He'll have fun with the whole process. Or, as mentioned, he can unload it now if he prefers!

more headache than it is worth. I'll give him 10,000 Dirham for it & he can walk away from the whole mess a happy guy. My only caveat is that I'll need him to drop it off at port for me. :)

But seriously, is it titled in his name already or no? If it isn't, he'll have an easier time on this side to title it in his name & then export it.
Book it into a 20' container (he can roro, but if that truck is as nice as it looks, the protection of the container will be worth a few extra bucks.

He'll need the C.I. (assuming he titles it first, otherwise legal bill of sale & original vehicle title docs too), and the import docs from Customs. Plus the EPA exemtion & DOT exemption certs, signed by him when he goes to the DMV. CBP docs are 3461 & 7501.

It isn't that hard to do. Roro will require an certified mechanic inspection statint the truck has no leaks, and you will want to hit it with a power sprayer to remove all dirt, etc...

Import
Title
Drive
Enjoy.

He'll have fun with the whole process. Or, as mentioned, he can unload it now if he prefers!

Thanks for the reply SB. Few questions:

what is CI? Car insurance or CA Inspection? Vehicle is titled under his name and he's planning on getting a container and ship to the port of Oakland, CA. What about CA emissions? How about delivery if he's not present and I'm the one picking it up? Does he have to transfer the title to me? Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the reply SB. Few questions:

what is CI? Car insurance or CA Inspection? Vehicle is titled under his name and he's planning on getting a container and ship to the port of Oakland, CA. What about CA emissions? How about delivery if he's not present and I'm the one picking it up? Does he have to transfer the title to me? Thanks for your help.

Sorry! C.I. = Commercial Invoice. It is basically a doc that spells out all the details of the shipment/Customs Declaration. It declares the value of the import, the transaction terms (if you were buying, etc...) who owns the goods, who is importing, consignee, etc.... The title of the vehicle doesn't really have anything to do with the import part actually. He can ship it, act as IOR (importer of Record), but list you as the Consignee/delivery party. then you can just show proof of ID to pick it up after it is released. It should be no problem in Oakland, but make sure whoever you are working with to unload the container has a drive out door in their terminal. Otherwise, they can unload the can, but you would then need to hire a flat bed tow truck to get it out. I can't speak to emissions in CA, as I've never lived there, but I know a ton of people can give you advice on that. Being an 80, it might be tough to do. But shouldn't be impossible I wouldn't think. But I'm sure you'll have to track down the CA emissions components for the year to even try. It will be EPA exempt, but that doesn't mean you are free of CA laws. We have a similar thing here. EPA exempt, but still have to pass front range emissions rules
With that truck, I wouldn't do RORO, but I will say it is super fun to get a lift out to the edge of a RORO pier & pick the truck up yourself to drive out!

Have Fun!
Erica

Sorry! C.I. = Commercial Invoice. It is basically a doc that spells out all the details of the shipment/Customs Declaration. It declares the value of the import, the transaction terms (if you were buying, etc...) who owns the goods, who is importing, consignee, etc.... The title of the vehicle doesn't really have anything to do with the import part actually. He can ship it, act as IOR (importer of Record), but list you as the Consignee/delivery party. then you can just show proof of ID to pick it up after it is released. It should be no problem in Oakland, but make sure whoever you are working with to unload the container has a drive out door in their terminal. Otherwise, they can unload the can, but you would then need to hire a flat bed tow truck to get it out. I can't speak to emissions in CA, as I've never lived there, but I know a ton of people can give you advice on that. Being an 80, it might be tough to do. But shouldn't be impossible I wouldn't think. But I'm sure you'll have to track down the CA emissions components for the year to even try. It will be EPA exempt, but that doesn't mean you are free of CA laws. We have a similar thing here. EPA exempt, but still have to pass front range emissions rules
With that truck, I wouldn't do RORO, but I will say it is super fun to get a lift out to the edge of a RORO pier & pick the truck up yourself to drive out!

Have Fun!
Erica

Thank you so much!! What is RORO? Pardon my ignorance

Thank you so much!! What is RORO? Pardon my ignorance

Oops, sorry again! RORO = Roll on, Roll Off. It is how they ship new cars from Japan & Europe generally. They drive the vehicle on, hit the parking breaks, and leave it there. Then drive it off when it gets to port. It can be less expensive that a container shipment, but a little more risk of damage. And, depending on all the details, it can end up being more costly. If the vehicle is over something like 18CBm's (Cubic Meters), they will charge at a higher larger vehicle rate which can get super costly. 18cbm's is definted as LxWxH, at each of the largest points, so they basically, "cube" the vehicle in the calcs. Large bumper roof rack, etc... can add nothing to the real weight/dimension of the truck, but add a few CBm's depending on specifics.

RORO - truck has to be able to be driven, but have no leaks (inspected & certified by a mechanic before export, certified on company letterhead). NO dirt, low on fuel for just enough to drive in/out & maybe a few miles after that, but not a full tank.

After it's in the US, register it in his name in a state other than California first. Then, if he wants to register in CA, it's much easier. He should also wait for at least 6 months before applying for CA registration to show it was used in another state.

Arizona is a good state to do start. Low fee's, can be done by mail, etc. I would get a "Bill of Lading" showing it was shipped to an address other than a CA address if it is being delivered to a CA port.

Nice 45!

You are lucky they didn't confiscate it, what with those dogs in there! :)

Whats the reason for confiscate? There is no reason..

It was just a joke. It relies on the presumption that he smuggled the dogs in the picture into the country in the bed of the truck. If US Customs finds alien flora or fauna, one of the solutions they can employ is to confiscate & destroy.

Sorry! C.I. = Commercial Invoice. It is basically a doc that spells out all the details of the shipment/Customs Declaration. It declares the value of the import, the transaction terms (if you were buying, etc...) who owns the goods, who is importing, consignee, etc.... The title of the vehicle doesn't really have anything to do with the import part actually. He can ship it, act as IOR (importer of Record), but list you as the Consignee/delivery party. then you can just show proof of ID to pick it up after it is released. It should be no problem in Oakland, but make sure whoever you are working with to unload the container has a drive out door in their terminal.

Hi,
Is this means that I can import a vehicle with salvage title ?? There is one fj40 with decent price but it has salvage title located in TURKEY.
Any advice??
Thank YOU
Tufan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom