IH8RUST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wob

Threads
Went to tighten the belts yesterday, took out the battery tray, and lo and behold, I have a hole in my inner fender. It's about the size of a half dollar right where one of the supports bolts in. It looks like one of the PO's batteries must have leaked slowly for some time. Next to the rust hole, there are two streaks where the paint has been eaten away. Any suggestions as to a fix? I am thinking about cutting the rest of the rusty metal away, and welding in a patch, the POR15ing the heck out of it.

:(

I guess the PO just forgot to tell me about it?

Now that I think about it, it really isn't rust, it's really corrosion from acid.

When I saw your thread I thought perhaps this was supposed to be on the 40/60's forum. ;)

WOB,
yes cut it out now!!!!!!
por 15 is great but I would cut about 1" around the rust you can see after you sand or wire wheel all the surface scale out of the way. oh and do both sides not just the inner. if you can see a half dollar hole chances are its about twice that size once you start sanding it down.
Dave

Assuming that the rusty area is in a flat accessable spot, you could use a holesaw to cut a nice round hole that would accomodate an OEM style rubber or plastic plug. It would look sorta factory like that.

No worries, I got some good rust on the body. Rust is good, just more reason to trash the beater the way it deserves to be.

Landtoy, that is not where the rust is on mine. If you take the battery out, there is a bolt down in a recessed part of the tray. That bolt was corroded to hell, and snapped off. When I took the tray out, the spot where that bolt was, is where the hole is now. Whitout the tray in , you can look up thorugh the inner fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom