Ignition switch on '84 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new to me 4Runner's ignition switch just took a dump (first day I have had it...LOL). I turn the key to ACC and the starter is already spinning, turn it to Start and the engine will start, let the key go to Run and the starter is still spinning :crybaby: Any pointers on replacing it or is it a pretty easy job? And before I start calling around is it still available through Toyota? I would like to keep one key for everything if I can.

Thanks!

The ignition is still available through Toyota AND a locksmith can re key. However, I have also heard of a locksmith being able to refurbish worn keys (in the lock) and cylinders. That works if your truck is not a daily driver

Well, mystery solved :rolleyes: The PO wired in a toggle switch to replace the clutch start cancel. With the toggle down, truck starts in gear or clutched and with toggle up turning the key to ACC powers the starter and it just spins. LOL, I flipped the switch while checking it out and thats what happened.

Um, that is not the right set up. If the PO was trying to emulate the later Clutch Cancel switches, he/she failed miserably. There should be 0 activity on the starter at the ACC position. I would change that out ASAP if I were you.

Just my .02

Jukelemon said:
Um, that is not the right set up. If the PO was trying to emulate the later Clutch Cancel switches, he/she failed miserably. There should be 0 activity on the starter at the ACC position. I would change that out ASAP if I were you.

Just my .02

It has the slot for the clutch start cancel its just out. I will DEFINETLY change that, i would hate my wife to get all f'd up in it :eek:

Yeah, I would think you could pick up the switch and then find the schematic easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom