I think I've done something fundamentally wrong - hmmm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pic shows close-up of recently applied aerosol paint to re-coat an area that's got a lot of rust around the bottom of one of my 80 series landcruiser cargo side windows. I can't remove the windows at present since I don't have any helper so I've left them in and dealt (tried to) with the exposed rust and original failing paint layer.

I dealt with the rusting by physically removing all I could, carefully wire brushing, then treating with Fertan (giving it the full 24 hours required). Everywhere else in the same area where rust was not happening but paint was sad I gave a very heavy sand down with flexible sanding blocks and a full surface cleanup.

Then I had a very still day so I masked up and sprayed using BCS Auto Paints (an Australian automotive paint supplier selling via Ebay, etc.) aerosols of the right paint code (toyota 045 for my white non clear coated 80).

After a couple of weeks the pic shows what's happening. I did not (because I didn't have anything suitable) use primer in between I figured the aerosol paint would bind properly, but I don't think it has.

I have no spraypainting experience from a bodyshop angle so it's all trial-and-error amateur stuff. :cool:

Is not using a primer the key mistake? Besides not using primer I'm certain the area I wanted to paint was prepped correctly.

Can those of you who have more experience with repairing rust and degraded paint offer some advice?

Thanks.

Pic shows close-up of recently applied aerosol paint to re-coat an area that's got a lot of rust around the bottom of one of my 80 series landcruiser cargo side windows. I can't remove the windows at present since I don't have any helper so I've left them in and dealt (tried to) with the exposed rust and original failing paint layer.

I dealt with the rusting by physically removing all I could, carefully wire brushing, then treating with Fertan (giving it the full 24 hours required). Everywhere else in the same area where rust was not happening but paint was sad I gave a very heavy sand down with flexible sanding blocks and a full surface cleanup.

Then I had a very still day so I masked up and sprayed using BCS Auto Paints (an Australian automotive paint supplier selling via Ebay, etc.) aerosols of the right paint code (toyota 045 for my white non clear coated 80).

After a couple of weeks the pic shows what's happening. I did not (because I didn't have anything suitable) use primer in between I figured the aerosol paint would bind properly, but I don't think it has.

I have no spraypainting experience from a bodyshop angle so it's all trial-and-error amateur stuff. :cool:

Is not using a primer the key mistake? Besides not using primer I'm certain the area I wanted to paint was prepped correctly.

Can those of you who have more experience with repairing rust and degraded paint offer some advice?

Thanks.

It looks like the paint is not binding properly to me. I'd sand that down and then apply a primer. You would think the paint would bind but sometimes paint in finicky like that.

looks like oils or other contamination prior to painting. it never bonded. upon cure, it crcked, allowing moisture, etc... in. Fertan sells an epoxy primer, id give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom