i think i need to move to anouther state!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got hassled by a state cop about my 4runner being lifted to high this morning:mad: . I told him that it was a legal lift he said it was not supposed be any thing over an inch higher then stock. I said he was wrong its 2 inches over stock height I will be keeping a copy of the mass lift height laws in my truck for now on.
He also stated that my trucks flow master was to loud I guess he is not accustomed to hearing a 22re doing 65 up hill on 4th gear :rolleyes:

I am starting to really get sick and tired of all the political B.S. in this state telling me what I can and cannot do to my vehicle

rant over

ps. this is for the cop that pulled me over:flipoff2:

Move to NH. What town was this in? That's a little extreme even for Mass.

By the way, you were both wrong on the lift law. It's wheel base x wheel track / 2200. No offense to any police officers, but police should really know the laws they're enforcing.

I can't imagine a small lift and 32" tires drawing any heat anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Move to NH. What town was this in? That's a little extreme even for Mass.

By the way, you were both wrong on the lift law. It's wheel base x wheel track / 2200. No offense to any police officers, but police should really know the laws they're enforcing.

I can't imagine a small lift and 32" tires drawing any heat anywhere.

It was around natick on the pike fist time i have ever been stoped for this

i thought there was someting about a mesurement from the bottom of the door to the ground being alowed to be 2" over stock

OK I'm an idiot. Someone explain Wheel base x wheel track /2200. I have an 85 60 and am not a police fan after my quota filling $150 ticket in Boston last week for failure to stop at an "orange" light. (He said red, I said yellow...)

Harry

One resource. You should always verify with your state DMV though:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/lift-laws.htm

Massachusetts

Get out your calculator: The maximum allowable mechanical lift (as well as what's acceptable in terms of bigger rubber) can be determined by this formula:

Maximum Lift = Wheelbase x Wheel Track
______________________2200

For example, if you did that formula and came up with 2 inches, then a 2-inch lift and a 2-inch increase in tire size is allowable, equaling a total lift of 4 inches over stock.

I checked a few sites and they all said the above.

You shouldn't of argued with the cop. It's useless. There are two things I would recommend.
One: Carry printouts of Mass lift laws in your vehicle - and when timing is right and if you are stopped for a violation, very politely mention that you believed you were in compliance according to Mass lift laws and offer to show the officer. This should work in many instances provided you act appropriately. Your goal is not to make the cop look a fool, insult his intelligence or argue on the roadside with him - it is more to illustrate how you believed you were acting appropriately to the law based upon the info you have on hand. Most cops would at this time either clarify why you cannot do what you did or reverse their opinion, but either way, they very often will let you go without a ticket by following this method.

Two: if you do end up getting a ticket - take it to court and bring the paperwork and an explanation for how you used the paperwork to determine that your vehicle was legal.

It is not good to arguing the law with the cop on the side of the road. Issues surrounding interpretation of the law belong in the courtroom.

Last edited:
Your cop mostlikley had a bad doughnut! - Not as crazy as being pulled over for having your muffler running out of the side of your hood and up the windshield facing foward. I suppose it did'nt help matters any by replying...."why no (officer rhetorical)....... that there pipe lets my engine breath when I drive........ to France"!!!!!!
Their just doing their job and some are good folk......but
they could use some skoolinin a few areas!

There's some kid in town here who drives an old Chevy on 44's every day. I don't think anyone's being hassled locally.

One resource. You should always verify with your state DMV though:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/lift-laws.htm

Massachusetts

Get out your calculator: The maximum allowable mechanical lift (as well as what's acceptable in terms of bigger rubber) can be determined by this formula:

Maximum Lift = Wheelbase x Wheel Track
______________________2200

For example, if you did that formula and came up with 2 inches, then a 2-inch lift and a 2-inch increase in tire size is allowable, equaling a total lift of 4 http://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gifinches over stock.

I checked a few sites and they all said the above.

thanks for thae link i know where im moving to now:D ...

Wyoming,
There are no official statutory guidelines for bumper height, frame height, rear blocks, or shackle lifts-all laws referring to these alterations say vehicles must simply be in "safe" working condition.

now thats what im talk'in about:D

lazy cop dident even get out of his car just roled down the window and we had our talk:rolleyes:

I totally agree with "Wrench" comments...If you are cool with cops the generally will be cool back. But if you rub them wrong at all you are all done.

I dont think it would be reasonable for any cop to be able to measure and calculate weather your over sized or not. It is gonna be different for every individual vehicle set up, (cause' mostly they is custom).

This is just another BS law to keep the man down, etc.

I agree with the above comments. I wouldn't argue the law on the side of the road, either. It's a waste of time. If you're courteous, you will generally get good treatment in return.

Still, it seems like everybody who gets pulled over gets the old 2" over stock law stated to them. Were the police made aware that this law changed around 2000? It's 2007.

OK I'm an idiot. Someone explain Wheel base x wheel track /2200. I have an 85 60 and am not a police fan after my quota filling $150 ticket in Boston last week for failure to stop at an "orange" light. (He said red, I said yellow...)

Harry

I got stopped for this about two months ago. The light was still yellow. IH8Cops. I was almost to three years were my insurance would go down. I ended up taking it to court and they were going to give me a hearing but one of the cops let me slide.

I am hoping that once the 40 get built that I won't get harrassed for a 4" lift and 35"s

Did you know in NH if you have aux. lights above the headlights
they have to be covered! I didn't! : (

In CO where I lived, there are some lax supposed laws about modd'ing a vehicle to far to the extreme side, but none of the cops ever give any of us a hard time, because we are the ones who always come to help them out when they need help pulling some idiot who has driven their car into the snow bank.
one hand washes the other.....MA should think differently sometimes about what they get ansty over

TC

As with anything, it depends where you are. Around here, there are people running around with 35-37" tires on Heeps every day. I don't think they're bothered much as long as they drive responsibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom