I Know - Not 80 Related... But any of you guys have experience w/ '96-2000 First-Gen RAV4's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
I've always wanted on of the mid 90's RAV4's.

I'm looking for a commuter car to replace my '94 FZJ.

Has anyone owned one of these first-gen RAV4's?

If so, are they good rigs/are they reliable/are they easy to work on?
How is parts availability?
Should I be concerned about high mileage ones?
Anything specific to look for when looking at buying one?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

- M

Why would you want an old, clapped-out deathtrap?

The Land Cruiser is a wildly over-engineered flagship. The RAV4 is a commuter car engineered to a price point. It's a small vehicle with a small-displacement, stressed engine. From what I see on Wikipedia, you get at best dual front airbags.

The modern RAV4, however, is an excellent vehicle. In fact, I believe it's the top selling non-truck vehicle in the United States. Great mileage, adequate power, and great safety features. I've ridden in one (2017 model) on several road trips and I'm consistently impressed with it.

their ok, if your looking for odd factor look for the 2 door convertible.

parts shouldnt be too bad on availability, but its dealing with an old vehicle so expect that there will be nla
fairly reliable, mostly easy to work on except doing the t-belt with abs. some other things in the engine bay will be tight.
same amount as any other high mileage toyota, get a good prepurchase check
rust and more rust

for my money id go with the next generation as a beater or for better mpg 2003-2008 corrola

Good, reliable vehicles with decent gas mileage. Get one with a 5-spd manual and AWD with the CDL and you’ll have something that is more capable in a variety of conditions than any Subaru. My mom put 350k miles on the one she bought in 1996. I bought a 99 for my wife’s grad student last year and it has no issues at 200k miles. Like @bigredmachine said, the only crappy job on them is replacing the timing belt because the engine is transverse.

My sister bought one a couple years ago with over 200K miles and I've driven it a few times. Replaced thermostat, rear shocks and fluids for her. Her husband paid for a shop to do the timing belt and water pump.

I kinda like them. The styling is cool, they seem fairly robust for what they are.

Good, reliable vehicles with decent gas mileage. Get one with a 5-spd manual and AWD with the CDL and you’ll have something that is more capable in a variety of conditions than any Subaru. My mom put 350k miles on the one she bought in 1996. I bought a 99 for my wife’s grad student last year and it has no issues at 200k miles. Like @bigredmachine said, the only crappy job on them is replacing the timing belt because the engine is transverse.
Why did you buy one for one of your wife's students???? Something going on??? Ex-wife???

Why did you buy one for one of your wife's students???? Something going on??? Ex-wife???
Hahaha no, she’s a foreign student in the US on a visa and doesn’t know s*** about cars or negotiating to buy a used car. My wife asked me to get a vehicle for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom