Husky restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all.

I bought a superwinch husky last winter, used. lol. for the money i paid for it, i could have got an X9 in really good condition. I was debating between the two, and decided to go with This -

(F****** state of it)

JY1lzCk.jpg

bit of muck i thought, that'll clean up real nice....

nope. what i thought was garden variety muck was in fact winch oil, mixed with bog turf. This winch was the dirtiest thing i have ever bought. I was pissed tbh. just handling it was a pain in the ass.

So i left it sit for a long time, cursing my decision. ...okay enough waffle.
I fired it up a few weeks ago and determined it does work, and then slowly started cleaning it. Its a nice toy, so i wanna make it all shiny. I've started pulling it apart and have a few pics and a few questions.

IjqsaD2.jpg

cover off

YtyCDA1.jpg

at this point i decided my decision was a good decision. everything on this is so beefy

U8qDBYj.jpg

RVehsLk.jpg

HbqzWXM.jpg

how do i remove the cover above, does it screw out as one piece?

PnYrGB4.jpg

FzmO5Ro.jpg

motor looks good (i havnt a clue about motors)

KWk3K7o.jpg

jIqza4H.jpg

hc4z8iY.jpg

i doubt the brush's on this were replaced (Irish mentality doesnt roll like that) so I'm thinking that since theres loads left on them, this is a good sign. Which brings me to my next question, i pulled the motor out of the housing without realizing , that I cant get it back in again..... does anyone have any tips on how to get the brushes drawn back so I can fit the bit below back in?

h1ElXjs.jpg

lastly, is there a clever way to get out this roll pin, or is it just a hammer affair?

iYsUCTE.jpg

cheers for reading,
redd .

Last edited:
That look like a good solid winch, which should clean up and work well. Good find.

I assume the roll pin goes all the way through? If so, a punch and hammer, if it's a blind hole...Kind of the same tool, but much more difficult!

Doug

Remove the last spur gear from the shaft/case. There will be 4 bolts behind that gear, remove them, remove the spur gear case from the worm gear case. The worm shaft needs to be removed before the worm wheel. It pulls out through the rear of worm gear case, sometimes they stubborn to remove. Keep the bearings in order. The worm wheel assembly can now be tapped or pressed out of the case.

The brushes can be retracted by removing the spring pressure that pushes on them. Remove the rear cover to access them.

So far, the winch looks to have very minimal usage. So other than dirty exterior, it's a good piece... the worm wheel is the only other gear I'd like to see.

cheers guys. I'll be working on this over the next few weeks, so I'll tap away at it and take pics if i run into problems.
I'm interested to see the worm gear myself.
I found this great online store for parts, and have been looking through them.

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/products...arts/superwinch-parts/superwinch-husky-8---10

one thing i noticed it didnt have, was this.

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2173894/superwinch-husky-drum-bush

Is this a standard part, should I have them? Bjowett good to have you onboard man, thanks. have been studying your thread and your pics. You refer to drum bearings... - i dont think i have any. that sounds a bit strange i know. ill have to have a fresh look when i get home from work.

the motor on mine is an odd one. I havnt been able to identify it. The outer casing was heavily rusted, so its hard to make out whats what. it doesnt look like it splits in two at the end. I'll have to investigate further.

Last edited:
IGmvszO.jpg

okay, got as far as this guy, and ran out of free time. its not immediately obvious how to proceed

uiDiFfT.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________

well, thats as far as I got with taking it apart. I was trying to figure out how to remove the bearing above, so i asked my dad. he took a look at it and said, thats a sealed unit, the inside is perfect, the gears arent grinding, so why are you taking it apart?

I thought, good question, that makes my life way easier. so i just started stripping it for paint.

ilHlunM.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, yours looks so much cleaner and nicer than the one I’m working with! Lol, my lovely Husky I ended up getting had the unfortunate fate of being mounted to a car trailer in north Mississippi.

I simply must know what the procedure was to get the gears and bearings apart and out of the casing

my shaft end ended up getting bent by having to hammer it out(it was THAT corroded)

I then had to hammer from the backside to force the gearing assembly up high enough to clear that cover coming out

man I’m gonna have to have some machine work done for sure

lol I’ll have pics up in a bit
5F638329-F9A6-43AB-A917-20935C3A1E84.jpeg

Wow, yours looks so much cleaner and nicer than the one I’m working with! Lol, my lovely Husky I ended up getting had the unfortunate fate of being mounted to a car trailer in north Mississippi.

I simply must know what the procedure was to get the gears and bearings apart and out of the casing

my shaft end ended up getting bent by having to hammer it out(it was THAT corroded)

I then had to hammer from the backside to force the gearing assembly up high enough to clear that cover coming out

man I’m gonna have to have some machine work done for sure

lol I’ll have pics up in a bitView attachment 2323734

1A8D5C1F-18E3-460B-8E34-A7C24260BC00.jpeg

7472407C-BCB4-4FF6-8C6F-1C520D670D7C.jpeg

0DE2A480-55EF-4442-B4FF-18A6208BC1A5.jpeg

12CFB20D-B6EF-4B11-B311-296DEE1B22B4.jpeg

BFD2AECF-E2EC-425F-A748-2B0A6B2E8F87.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom