How-to ID a transfer case issue vs a driveshaft issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m having a really difficult time troubleshooting and need the collective advise from the lot of you.

Today I started hearing a noise emanating from what seems to be the area directly beneath my shifter from what i think is the Tcase / drive shaft area

What it is:

- both are intermittent, and only occurre a low speed or from a stop

Noise 1:
- Sounds like a ball peen hammer hitting a steel plate, I can feel it through my shifter. Subtle little ping,

Noise 2:
- A rotating metallic scraping sound, “chich-chich-chich-chich”
- The only thing i can even relate it to is when someone run out of brake pad and stops on bare rotors....or the sound off a heat shield rubbing on a rotor when it gets bent??
- it’s like something is rubbing on the rotating shaft, then when i get up to speed, past 20 mph, it disappears
- almost like something hanging is dinging off the driveshaft at times

This is the same noise, as recorded by someone on mud. Resolution was a u Joint.

I’m not well versed in drive train troubleshoting, so for those that are, please tell me what I should be looking for?

Really need a bone here, as im totally stumped. If it turns out to be UJoints I can do it, just don’t want to make it any worse

Sure its not an exhaust heat sheld that got lose somewhere?

Sounds like a hollow tube noise to mee. Nothing touching driveshaft in back?

Never heard a bad ujoint sound like that! Easiest way to check a ujoint is drop the shaft and rotate them by hand. There should be zero slop and smooth movement.

ETA With the shaft down also check output and pinion flanges for smooth movement and no slop.

Never heard a bad ujoint sound like that! Easiest way to check a ujoint is drop the shaft and rotate them by hand. There should be zero slop and smooth movement.

ETA With the shaft down also check output and pinion flanges for smooth movement and no slop.

Will do I’m putting it up on the lift tomorrow.

Some also suggested the heat shield on the companion flange, when they come loose they come into contact creating that weird rotating intermittent sound.

Hopefully it’s small potatoes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom