How many HAMS among us? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool Ace! Here is some useful info I got from Stephen Rudy of Rising Sun. I too will be using a handheld for at least this year. I have and really like the features, build quality and functionality of my FT-270 http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5270.html

I have the software for it and would be happy to let anyone with the same radio borrow it if needed.

Here is the info from Stephen
You heard it out there. Daniel and I were talking to each oterh from more than 25 miles away on 5 watts. Same as your HT there. You don’t have to sell the HT and go to a mobile right away.

Step 1 is buy a mag-mount NMO antenna mount with a BNC connector on the end of the cable. Get the antenna to NMO adapter for your HT. Buy a couple of NMO antennas. ¼ wave and a ½ wave maybe. Enjoy.

Even if this isn’t a great mobile solution, it will be very handy as a backup radio or for experiments or as a garage radio.
I used this exact setup from Slickrock. I slapped the mag mount on the tin roof of the cabin and screwed a 5/8ths NMO antenna on. Plugged right into the 5 watt HT. Better than nothing. Worked OK.
I have used this simple setup on the trail when I wrecked a cable on my mobile setup too. Just switch to the HT/mag mount setup as a backup for a mobile radio failure.

I have used my HT from inside the metal cab and it sucked compared to the antenna on the roof.

Antenna mounts:

Just go with NMO mounts now. Skip the 3/8ths stud mount CB style stuff and get to a single standard so you can interchange antennas. Learn about how mag mounts wreck the paint, consider punching a hole in the roof for your ham antenna. I know it’ll sting, but it really is the BEST way. You can try other things too like antenna on the roof rack. Ask around.
I have a quiver of antennas to meet changing needs.

19” ¼ wave: Mounted to the spare tire carrier on the back of the jeep I can drive into the garage, but the performance is pretty bad on the Jeep’s tailgate.
38” fold over ½ wave antenna means I can get out of the rig, fold the antenna over, then drive into the garage. ½ wave is also “ground plane independent” and works the best on my rear tire carrier.
52” 5/8ths wave antenna: Good gain, good height, but it doesn’t work well on the limited counterpoise that my Jeep’s tailgate offers. It worked GREAT on the roof of my 4runner however!

In summary: Some antennas work better than others depending on where they are mounted on the truck. Basically you need 19” of flat metal around the antenna for it to reflect properly. Everything else is a compromise, but that’s the way life is, eh?

Heading down through Phoenix and plan to stop at Ham Radio Outlet and thinking I'll get the Yaesu FT-8800R. It's a dual band mobile with remote mount option. Only $390 now with rebate.

Good price on an 8800.

Decided to get the 7900 instead. Simpler, bigger display and dials.

http://www.k0rv.org/

Club meeting this Saturday.... testing is available for $15 Bucks just bring an ID

I have had my tech license almost three years (KJ4UML) but just got around to getting a radio. What I mean by learning how to use it, is knowing what frequencies are commonly used by off-roaders and proper protocals and language. All the stuff that does not make me sound like a complete idiot.

Checked out your clubs website and it looks interesting. Today learned there is a club in Cedaredge which I'll
I have to locate.

Thanks,
Ace

Going to breakfast with some local HAMS Wednesday but expect I'll learn far more during the Swell Trip. I've spent some time scanning and have heard nada so far. :-(

Ace

There is a local Test Session (Grand Junction) This Thursday at 7:00pm. All skill levels.

Just downloaded the app, now if only I knew how to use repeaters......

Got home from my business trip to CA last night and found my BaoFeng had arrived. So far I have figured out how to install the battery, charge it, install the antenna, and turn it on and off. Been reading some books, currently HAM Radio for Dummys, and plan to take my license test on 6/8 in Cedaredge. Leaving again tomorrow for another business trip but will keep reading and learning. Looks like there are some good tips in this thread and then there is 1911's thread on FJ Cruisers. I'm getting there. May need an Elmer soon. :)

Got my call sign. KD0VVS

I thought call signs were issued based on where you took the exam but yours being a K suggests it might be from your address. I took my test in Phoenix while my address was in Kentucky and also got a K sign. Maybe it's more arbitrary than I thought.

Btw, what is an Elmer?

I thought call signs were issued based on where you took the exam but yours being a K suggests it might be from your address. I took my test in Phoenix while my address was in Kentucky and also got a K sign. Maybe it's more arbitrary than I thought.

Btw, what is an Elmer?

I think the only character that identifies the region is the 0. I think the rest is pretty random. I used my Ridgway address and the guy giving the exam said if I used my TX address I would have received a 9 there.

An Elmer is a HAM mentor. Someone to help you figure out what to do with it once you get it I think.

I think the only character that identifies the region is the 0. I think the rest is pretty random. I used my Ridgway address and the guy giving the exam said if I used my TX address I would have received a 9 there.

An Elmer is a HAM mentor. Someone to help you figure out what to do with it once you get it I think.

The "K" designates the United States. More specifically, Western United States. "W" is used east of the Mississippi. Same as radio station call signs. Some of the older stations have been grandfathered in and have kept the K or W regardless of where they're located. The number has to do with the region of the U.S. your call sign is registered. Here's a map for reference. http://www.radioing.com/hamradio/callareas.html

Also, if you're using a vanity call sign, most of this is out the window. There are still some restrictions, but your callsign doesn't have to reflect your call area. That's why it's a good idea to announce "mobile" at the end of your callsign when you are in your vehicle. My vanity callsign is KØFSH, if I'm in Moab, I would want to add "mobile" when I announce so someone at home doesn't think they are catching some super wave and picking someone up at home in Colorado on 146.460.

We are fortunate to have some SERIOUS amateur radio guys in our club. I am not one of them! There is some fantastic info found here for anyone who's interested.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7032
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Last edited:
Well it's finally official! I passed my test at the FJ Summit and am now KDØWFO! Looking forward to a life of learning the craft that is Armature Radio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom