How do I wire dual batteries for winching with Redarc BCDC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Road Apple

SILVER Star
Threads
Planning to install dual batteries in my 1997 LX450
with a Redarc BCDC 1225D and solar panel charging the house battery. The house battery will power a Wits' End QPM, lights, frig, inverter and compressor.

The main battery will power starting and a ComeUp 12.5 winch.

I would like the ability to connect both batteries for winching and starting if needed. Can I wire the two batteries together with a Blue Sea battery switch for use during winching or starting?

Is there a preferred method for wiring dual battery winching with the Redarc BCDC? Problems or concerns?

How did you wire your system?

FWIW, 16 years ago I installed my Warn 9.5 winch connected to my auxiliary battery (Odyssey Group 34). Over the years I've had to use it for some tough winching recoveries including several up slope with one of my trailers in tow. My UZJ100 alone weighs 4-tons GVW in full touring mode plus 1.5 tons for the trailer. With engine running during winch operations I've never run short of electrical current and/or stalled the winch.

Not familiar with the Redarc so may be missing something here, but I would probably put a switch in to disconnect completely and bypass the charger and solar system from your wiring if you do winch, seems like that would be the safest way to go, if maybe unnecessary depending on what protection the charger has. That stuff is not cheap. And you'd want to have big wires between the batteries, bigger than you normally would for just charging the house battery. That switch up there is rated at 300A continuous, that should be enough even if the winch goes at it hard if you wire the winch directly to the primary battery. And the house battery should be rated for high amp output, which is not always the case for deep cycle ones.

The Redarc shouldn't play a part in the short bursts of current needed to start a rig with the batts bound (connected).
It should have a 30 second delay, waiting to see alternator voltage, before it kicks in.
Yes that switch will work.
But you could have a dash-switched relay instead. I use two of these:
Amazon product ASIN B000CEBXRS
One each for binding the both batts and energizing the jumpstart port in the grill. Each has it's own switch in the dash, and each can be bound to either of the two batts up front, via the same switch strangely enough.
The winch is connected to both batts (-to main/+to aux batt) so it's always energized, but also benefits when the batts are bound.

edit: and to the scenario of winching while the truck is running, you can also have a dash switch to turn the BCDC on or off at will, just so you know it's protected. It's what I did and I like the control. lol Tho admittedly I don't pay any mind when I winch. The truck is running regardless and occasionally I'll turn the Redarc on to handle charge and maintenance for a couple hours during the trail ride. Then forget it's on and use the winch. So I could be lucky or it doesn;t matter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom