How difficult is it to remove front differential? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm interested in removing the front differential myself so I can have a shop put a locker in it, save some $ by bringing it in. How difficult a job is it? (I can't find a diy thread - do you know of one?) Also, any suggestions on a shop for the bench work?

Thanks,
Gil
Ventura, CA

Find videos on YouTube... you have to pull your front axles out and remove all the bolts around the 3rd member plus front driveshaft.... 1st timers maybe 2-4 hrs depending on wrenching level... experienced half that time...make sure you have the correct tools such as snap ring pliers and 54mm hub socket etc...

Download free FSM here on mud too..

Whoops, I thought I was in the 80 series forum...Removing the front 3rd from a 100 although different, not to much more involved after pulling your cv's..

Thanks. I'll check it out and crawl around under the truck and see how feasible it looks. The factory manual is a bit confusing - skips around a bit and is hard for me to follow. Then again, I enjoy driving more when I've delved into the inner workings a bit, know what is there and how it works.
Gil

I did it. Easy job.
Remove CV axles (hope you know how to get there). Disconnect the drive shaft. Remove the mounting brackets. ThThose are super tight so have a breakerbar. There are two at driver side, one below the steering rack and one below the passenger side floor (next to the pinion flange). Use only 6 sided impackt box sockets. I used a scissor jack to hold the weight of it. I did it by my self, but be ready it is heavy. Make sure the truck is supported well. Have the tires under the truck as a secondary supports in case it falls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom