Horn button not working. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
71 FJ: horn button feels broken inside, just sloppy, doesn't activate horn (obviously) Any direction as to how to disassemble the button?

Looking at your steering wheel from the side, I found that if you take a flat blade screw driver in the gap between the horn assembly and the wheel, you can gently pry off the horn button assembly from the face of the contact spring (It is just held with friction). Once the horn button is removed you can diagnose the issue. Using a 12 volt test lamp, you should be able to determine if it is an issue with the contact at the horn button or an issue with the horn relay under the hood.

Photo of all of the horn Parts.jpg

Attachments

• Horn Troubleshooting.pdf
    248 KB · Views: 88
Looking at your steering wheel from the side, I found that if you take a flat blade screw driver in the gap between the horn assembly and the wheel, you can gently pry off the horn button assembly from the face of the contact spring (It is just held with friction). Once the horn button is removed you can diagnose the issue. Using a 12 volt test lamp, you should be able to determine if it is an issue with the contact at the horn button or an issue with the horn relay under the hood.

View attachment 2957071
Wow! very helpful, thanks.

Just did one on my 72 fj 40. there was a new horn button on the door post but I wanted the button on the steering wheel to work. Found a wire coming out at the bottom of the steering column which had continuity with the original a and when from there. Ordered a set of horns and relay from Classic Cruisers Colorado (888-376-2420). It's nice to have a horn that works from the manufactures chosen spot.

Just did one on my 72 fj 40. there was a new horn button on the door post but I wanted the button on the steering wheel to work. Found a wire coming out at the bottom of the steering column which had continuity with the original a and when from there. Ordered a set of horns and relay from Classic Cruisers Colorado (888-376-2420). It's nice to have a horn that works from the manufactures chosen spot.
Good to hear you got yours working from the chosen spot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom