HJ75 - alternator not charging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting 12.19 at idle and 3k RPM. Would the “charge light relay” have anything to do with the alternator not charging? It’s been intermittent for a year now, and finally for two weeks I don’t get the “click” under the glove box.

G'Day Fella's,

Athensrep, what my battery supplier (Rob @ The Battery Factory), told me years ago, was that some aspect of the alternator charging system, fails over time. He recommended that I run a seperate and appropriate size wire, from the alternator output bolt, to the + terminal post, on my starter battery.
If you look at the attached image, you can see the black wire, running from the alternator, along the air intake (from the filter box) to the front battery + terminal post.
Not sure if this is what is occuring with your TLC but I've not had any issues with my now 29 year old BJ73.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Under the bonnet-BJ73_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I have a similar setup with fuse in between. I haven’t had an issue until recently.

Any input on the correlation of charging and the “charge light relay”?

I would take the alternator off and get it tested, its probably 30 years old.

I put the alternator on about a year ago. Failed to mention earlier. I pulled the charge relay after it started clicking like mad intermittently. Wanted to see if this correlated to a no-charge situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom