HJ61 - Clutch and Flywheel questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My HJ61 has 269k on it and the clutch is picking up right at the very, very top of the pedal...literally breathing on the pedal is enough to engage the clutch...I have no idea why it isn't slipping yet...knock on wood. Needless to say, I have been looking for a quality, well priced kit. I plan on doing the job myself, in my garage with a buddy and a tranmission jack. I have moderate mechanical ability :D.

I am wondering if anyone has done a clutch in an HJ61 and any advice they can lend. And, as well, I am wondering about the flywheel. I am guessing with 269k the clutch has been done once before. How many times can the flywheel be resurfaced? I thought about just replacing the flywheel to save time but one quote I got was $1200!!!!! :censor: I just can't understand that!

Comments appreciated!

Mines not so good either pathfinder.
you can buy some time with the pedal adjustment under the dash,lots of adjustment under their.

At 269k the clutch is probably the original. No need for a new flywheel, just take yours in and have it resurfaced. Have not yet heard of anyone running out of metal on a Toyota flywheel.
You can get aftermarket clutch kits from Rocky Mountain imports as well as 4wheel auto.
Don't forget new pilot and release bearings.
Probably a good time to replace the shift seat and bushing on the tranny shifter too.

ok just did my clutch in my hj 61 about 3 months ago. i put in a safari tuff clutch(not cheap) but with 35's and twin lockers it's going to get some abuse. i bought a second hand 2h flywheel( same as the 12ht ) and had that machined so i could have the job done that day. (my daily driver) not a job i recomend u doing without a hoist. i was lucky enough to have borrowed my mechanics for the day because the gearbox and transfer case took 3 blokes to get back in. in one piece they are heavy and u need to jiggle it to get it back in. my old clutch was nackered, the abuse had almost torn the centre out of it and broken some springs(oem clutch) don't scrimp on the clutch, buy the best one u can afford:grinpimp:

Picture1412.jpg

rainforrest652.jpg

When I bought this motorbike jack I could not hire or buy a transmission jack here so I settled on the bike jack. It is so easy to use by yourself and very stable. The gearbox will move up and down on the timber to adjust the angle so there is no lifting at all. The frame is for the h55f[ overkill as I was by myself] the 150 and 151 gearbox just needs some timber packing. I did the 80 without jacking it up and that was a mistake as the transmission tunnel gets restricted as the box moves back unlike the HJ75. This made it hard to get the spiggot bearing out. The one after this was far easier when lifted 4/6 inches [blocks under wheels]. HTH.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom