HJ47 Troopy Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,
I have been in the cruiser community for some time and been working on the endless project of 40 for many years. I am seriously considering changing the 40 out for a troopy and starting the process a new. However, I feel like a dolt as I don't know nor can I find many of the details through searching. If someone has a few minutes, can you help me some questions?

1980 HJ47 Troopy AUS version (2h has been swapped for a 2f)
1. RHD - what problems would I have with this such as parts, adding PS?
2. Assuming stock - is the rear a full floater?
3. Assuming stock - is it a 1 ton axle?
4. Assuming stock - how would I tell what the gearing is?
5. Is an h55 swap a similar PITA to the 40?
6. Anything else I should be concerned about having replaced almost everything on a 77 40 over the years?

I appreciate the input!

Jeff

Could be wrong but they are 1 ton axles and 4:11 gears usually.

Hi folks,
I have been in the cruiser community for some time and been working on the endless project of 40 for many years. I am seriously considering changing the 40 out for a troopy and starting the process a new. However, I feel like a dolt as I don't know nor can I find many of the details through searching. If someone has a few minutes, can you help me some questions?

1980 HJ47 Troopy AUS version (2h has been swapped for a 2f)
1. RHD - what problems would I have with this such as parts, adding PS?
2. Assuming stock - is the rear a full floater?
3. Assuming stock - is it a 1 ton axle?
4. Assuming stock - how would I tell what the gearing is?
5. Is an h55 swap a similar PITA to the 40?
6. Anything else I should be concerned about having replaced almost everything on a 77 40 over the years?

I appreciate the input!

Jeff

Troopy is a good choice we love ours!

1.You can get a RHD power steering set up from a JDM 60 series that will work with some fab.

2.If it is stock yes the rear should be full floater

3. Yes

4. 4.11 is the norm

5. I'm doing the same swap so I will let you know.

6. Thinner steel makes it more prone to rust... that is about it.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I appreciate the responses.

The rust isn't horrible, slthough i am spoiled with a no cancer 40, but I guess another skill tolearn!

Thanks again. This one may not work out, but I am going to put the 40 up for sale (sniff...sniff) and see what happens.

any chance you're looking at that troopy posted on Ebay in Albuquerque?

Just curious. How did it look to you in person.

Not sure if I am interested in a 2F conversion without knowing the shop which did it.

Just curious. How did it look to you in person.

Not sure if I am interested in a 2F conversion without knowing the shop which did it.

Like a tired old truck that needs lots of love. It wasn't a rust bucket, but it had its issues and would need a fair amount of reconditioning both mechanical and body. My 40 is solid on all panels, but over all this very much reminded me of my 40 when I got it. Just about everyting needs work.

Tell me more about the conversion. I thought it was a pretty easy swap on those. What am I missing?

Jeff

What is a JDM 60 and what are the mods needed. I have an HJ45 1980 and I want to add Power steering also.
Thanks

What is a JDM 60 and what are the mods needed. I have an HJ45 1980 and I want to add Power steering also.
Thanks
Thought I'd jump in here since I am fitting a pump to my 2H right now. I have both the late 60 series 2H pump, and the early 47/60 series version in my possession.

The 60 series pump is NOT a bolt on to the 2H in an HJ47. The pumps, in either a 60 or a 47, mount in tandem with the right hand side engine mount. The engine mounts are different between the vehicles. If the pump is to be fitted into an HJ47, you will need the correct early 2H engine mount and pump assembly. I just picked up an '86 2H (out of a Canadian HJ60) to replace the dead 2H from my 47 series. I swapped out the engine mounts first, then tried to bolt the 60 series pump into position, but it doesn't fit. I guess one could use the 60 series engine mount and modify it (need to know a highly skilled welder, and i'd be nervous about modding a cast steel engine mount, since a crack/break would not be a good scene while operating the vehicle).

It was simplest to bolt the early 2H pump back in and onto the engine mount, though the intake port for the hose from the fluid reservoir is angled the wrong way in my case (I'm converting my truck to LHD). This is not a big deal though. I tried removing the intake port and swapping in the later 60 series pump's intake port (angled differently for the reservoir in a LHD application), but the parts do not interchange. The early pump uses a tapered fitting on the end, while the later pump uses a straight fitting with an o-ring. I also looked at swapping the pump bodies around on the pump mounts, but that is also a no-go. I'll get a hose with a 180˚ bend formed in one end of it and that will solve the problem.

Hope this helps - you need to contact a wrecker in Oz and find the right early 2H engine mount and p/s pump, which will almost certainly come out of a pre '85 HJ60. Finding a RHD power steering gearbox is the difficult part, as power steering was so rare in Australian trucks. I have enquired with parts suppliers there and they have no listing in the Toyota EPC for power steering in HJ47's. I suspect the gearboxes come out of FJ45's. A good place to contact is privateparts4wd - he lists on Ebay and is very good to deal with.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom