Hitch Mounted Tire Carriers with Swing Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did some searching and could not find a good thread about this topic. If there is one and I missed it, please let me know I will shut this thread down.

Subject says it all - trying to decide between a few options that are available and curious to know if any of you have them. Would love to hear some hands on feedback. I'm not interested in mounting to the door so please do not bring up any of these options or any DIY solution.

Rigd Ultraswing - $1599, seems like its the most trusted and well known with lots of good reviews. Well built.
UltraSwing™ Multi-Fit Spare Tire Hitch Mount | RiGd Supply - https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-multi-fit-spare-tire-hitch-carrier

Dirtcom Trail Swing - $1750, new kid on the block so not has many reviews. Looks well built and easy to use. Better departure angle than others. Comes in LH swing specifically intended for GX.
TRAIL SWING LH (Left Hand Swing) - https://dirtcomusa.com/products/trail-swing-lh-reservation

Rigid Armor Swing Out Tire Carrier - $1200, cheaper but doesn't seem as beefily built as Rigd and Dirtcom.
Lexus GX 470 Swing-Out Tire Carrier — Rigid Armor - https://www.rigid-armor.com/shop/lexus-gx-470-2003-2009-spare-tire-carrier

Wilco Offroad (Various Models) - $1000-$1700, been around for a while so they have a good reputation. Not sure which model would suit the GX best.
Hitch Mounted Units - https://wilcooffroad.com/collections/hitchgates

Thanks in advance!

I've had the Dirtcom Trailswing since August last year and I like it. It's easy to set up. It doesn't rattle and the swingout locks up nice and tight. As long as you can handle the weight, it's easy to install/uninstall as needed if you don't want to deal with it every day. The ability to have it swing freely or lock at different intervals while open is handy if you are parking on a steep hill.

I've had the Dirtcom Trailswing since August last year and I like it. It's easy to set up. It doesn't rattle and the swingout locks up nice and tight. As long as you can handle the weight, it's easy to install/uninstall as needed if you don't want to deal with it every day. The ability to have it swing freely or lock at different intervals while open is handy if you are parking on a steep hill.
Awesome - thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Dirtcom. I'm curious, do you have anything else that you hook onto the hitch of the tire carrier? I'm planning to throw a bike rack on as well at times so curious how that would work.

RIG’d is pretty much the gold standard, and for a reason…quality is great, tough as nails, and zero rattle.
Also keep in mind resale…it’s arguably the best-known brand, which will help if you want to sell it at a later date.

Awesome - thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Dirtcom. I'm curious, do you have anything else that you hook onto the hitch of the tire carrier? I'm planning to throw a bike rack on as well at times so curious how that would work.
Only issue I could see is you would probably need to remove the bikes to swing open the carrier but shouldn't have any issues with the receiver itself. I think Dirtcom and some of the others sell an accessory mount so you could attach a bike rack directly to the swingout section.

Only issue I could see is you would probably need to remove the bikes to swing open the carrier but shouldn't have any issues with the receiver itself. I think Dirtcom and some of the others sell an accessory mount so you could attach a bike rack directly to the swingout section.
You are right about that. They're charging 250 bucks for that mount to attach to the swing out.

I thought you couldn't use the Ridg or Dirtcom products as the top of the swing will collide with the tailgate when lowered. Can anyone confirm?

It looks like the Wilco and Rigid might work, though. I'm leaning towards the Wilco.

I wish that Dirtcom would create an LC200 version.

I thought you couldn't use the Ridg or Dirtcom products as the top of the swing will collide with the tailgate when lowered. Can anyone confirm?

It looks like the Wilco and Rigid might work, though. I'm leaning towards the Wilco.

I wish that Dirtcom would create an LC200 version.
GX's have a swingout barn door, not a split tailgate like an LC. The Trailswing is like 9.5 inches tall between the lowest point where it slides into the reciever and the top of the hinge bolt on the crossbeam. I have no idea what that means for a Land Cruiser but it doesn't not interfere with my barn door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom