Highway Speed throbbing sound/vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? Just picked up an 05 GX with 93K, and I'm a bit annoyed that I'm hearing a trobbing sound and feeling it in the steering wheel from 50-65mph

Please help me out...

Wheel balance?

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? Just picked up an 05 GX with 93K, and I'm a bit annoyed that I'm hearing a trobbing sound and feeling it in the steering wheel from 50-65mph

Please help me out...

So, it's in the front wheels What make are the tires, how old are they? This sounds and acts like a belt separating, rotate tires to the back and see if you fell it in your butt or is it still in the steering wheel

I'd swap the front tires to the rear and re-assess, but while it is up on the lift I'd check the front wheel bearings and ball joints.

I don't have the lug key. Damnit!!!

I'll take it to the tire shop to have them check the balance

Call McGard - they made the keys/locks for the GX. They should be able to match it from a picture of the lock.

Hey there, I purchased an 05 GX and had, what seems to be, a similar problem. Does the shake increase when you accelerate "briskly" or "moderately" from 60ish to 75ish? It ended up being my front axle shafts. Needed both of them replaced. Solved the problem pronto.
I looked all over forums for peoples opinions before hand... No one had it right. I just ended up scaring the crap out of myself. Like a hypochondriac on WebMD. My advice... take it to the dealer.

I just picked up an '04 with 123k on it. Also having a weird shake/vibration in the steering wheel. Tires look to be in good shape, but the lower ball joints and tie rod ends have torn boots. Going to press some new ball joints in and change all the tie rods, see if that helps

Hey there, I purchased an 05 GX and had, what seems to be, a similar problem. Does the shake increase when you accelerate "briskly" or "moderately" from 60ish to 75ish? It ended up being my front axle shafts. Needed both of them replaced. Solved the problem pronto.
I looked all over forums for peoples opinions before hand... No one had it right. I just ended up scaring the crap out of myself. Like a hypochondriac on WebMD. My advice... take it to the dealer.

Actually the shake goes away when accelerating. It's most pronounced when I ease off the throttle/coasting. It's a real rotational drone and slight vibration in the pedal and steering wheel.

Are you feeling anything in the steering wheel when this happens (like left/right shutter)? If so, I'd be checking out sway bar bushings, etc.

If not, I'd take a hard look at the u joints.

I've heard the same thing as well, usually occurs around 2100-2300 rpm while cruising. In my case, after checking all potential rotational imbalances, I believe it may be as simple as a standing wave audio resonance mainly caused by engine vibration and intake/exhaust pulsation. I've read other threads to the same end.

So... it was the wheel bearings! Changed the hubs and now I've got a smooth Lexus V8.

Things to check:

I coasted down a hill in neutral. Sound was still there

I coasted down a hill with the drivetrain in neutral (t case set to N). Sound was still there.

In faster sweeping turns sound went away.

Changed both front bearings and I'm good to go!

So... it was the wheel bearings! Changed the hubs and now I've got a smooth Lexus V8.

Things to check:

I coasted down a hill in neutral. Sound was still there

I coasted down a hill with the drivetrain in neutral (t case set to N). Sound was still there.

In faster sweeping turns sound went away.

Changed both front bearings and I'm good to go!
Nice! Glad you got it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom