Hi-steer with rear leafs in front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
have had all-pro hi-steer for a few months (in a box), and Im about to be tearing into my project. As I was just reading on marlin's site you need at least 4" of lift to use their hi-steer. If I plan on using 92 rear leafs on the front of my 93 2wd frame....will my all-pro kit work?

or am I going to have to suck it up and get actual lift springs?

thanks!!

There is no perfect height.

If the truck has lift springs the tierods from arm to arm will rub the leaf springs.

If the truck sits too low it will let the draglink/tierods contact the frame rails.

Too much lift spring is more of a problem than too low.

If the truck has a tall arched spring it can have rub issues all the time.

If the truck is too low it will only rub at full stuff which is tollerable or easily fixed with a notched rail or bumpstops.

I put 3 gen rear up front all the time. You will need to move the steering box WAY forward and will need to notch the core support and mount to get it far enough forward.

Will also most likely need a flat pitman arm if the box is positioned properly.

Just my opinion, but allpro hollow arms are a POS. I dont want a hysteer arm that was built with saving material as a goal to cut costs.

i did not have to cut my core support, or have to use a flat arm on mine.

i also did not install it on a 2wd frame, and i only had 3" lift at the time, i had no rubbing or hitting issues at all, even when i ran off the road and up a rock embankment, and w'ed the passenger side spring, it still did not rub or hit anything.

i did not have to cut my core support, or have to use a flat arm on mine.

i also did not install it on a 2wd frame, and i only had 3" lift at the time, i had no rubbing or hitting issues at all, even when i ran off the road and up a rock embankment, and w'ed the passenger side spring, it still did not rub or hit anything.

And you used a 3gen rear spring (longer then 1st and 2nd gen) spring? And the 2wd frame is the same as an 85 and older 4x4 frame. It will make the truck sit allot lower then the same setup on an IFS frame.

no i did not use any rear spring, i used a lift spring made for the front! i thought that was pretty clear my fault i should have stated that too!

SWEET^

I love your truck, my 85 is(was) the same blue but WAY rustier.

Do you have a IFS box? did you put it about the same place as the stock or forward?

here is where i installed my frame strengthening kit! the ifs steering box touches the radiator support.

toy4xfun-albums-my-rig-picture19447-mytruck-198.jpg

SWEET^

I love your truck, my 85 is(was) the same blue but WAY rustier.

Do you have a IFS box? did you put it about the same place as the stock or forward?

Close to stock. I used a stock bolt hole to hold the ifs box on while i marked the other holes to be drilled out.

Shortly after that video, i sheered some knuckle studs.

mine is close to stock i do believe i mounted the steering column knuckle thing first, then set the box marked the holes, drilled welded the frame support, mounted box.

my column was from an 87 though!

You need to decide on springs first.

Springs will determine axle placement.

Axle placement will determine steering box placement.

If you put that box "wherever" it will almost garrunteed hit the tierods when flexed.

Anytime I install RUFs I have to cut the core support to get the box far enough forward to play nice.

no i did not use any rear spring, i used a lift spring made for the front! i thought that was pretty clear my fault i should have stated that too!

here is where i installed my frame strengthening kit! the ifs steering box touches the radiator support.

toy4xfun-albums-my-rig-picture19447-mytruck-198.jpg

mine is close to stock i do believe i mounted the steering column knuckle thing first, then set the box marked the holes, drilled welded the frame support, mounted box.

my column was from an 87 though!

And I repeat, this placment is only good for a STOCK STYLE REPLACMENT lift spring.

This box placement will NOT work with RUFs.

ok i went back and read the original post again, where i mounted my box will not work for you!

and also i believe liljlandon has the 84, 85 frame too, they are different than your frame! so chop shop has the plan going on!

no problem guys!

I sometimes like to ask just to get an idea I know Ill have to get it mostly assmebled THEN figure out where it needs to go.

thanks for all the input, hopefully not this but next weekend I can start telling where it needs to go.

wheres everyone get there steering support parts? or just make their own?

I made mine. I used 1/4" on the outside and 1/4" in the inside, and one day I felt it give, so now its "boxed' around the frame with 3/16 on top and bottom. No more give.

don't 'mud and drive

The 2wd frame is the exact same frame rails(aside form the mounts etc) as a 85 and older 4wd.

A cleaned off 2wd and a cleaned off 4wd frame are the same.

Only the IFS 4wd is different.

With an 85 and older and a 2wd frame the rig will sit lower (1.5 inches) than the exact same hangers and springs than they will on a ifs frame.

I make my own plates. There is no perfect place for every box. Kits will be a certain shape and will not fit all rigs the same.

I just use 3/16 plate on both sides and then sleeve it with 3/4 inch DOM for the bolt holes. Do not take shortcuts or bolt to one layer of frame. Make sure to sleeve thru both sides and weld it up good so it cant compress the frame when tightened up.

If using a third gen rear up front, you will need to cut the core support and push the box all the way to the body mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom