Hi, I bought a gx470! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, on New Year’s Eve I finally bought myself a 2007 gx470 after about 9 months of searching!

96B41B99-5AA7-4D33-BEFB-7E75EE6E27E1.jpeg

I looked at way too many and found a non-nav model without kdss and 161k miles on it. It lived its life in north Texas and then Colorado (where I am) and has a crap ton of dealer service history. Since I got it on New Year’s Eve I got a steal of a deal and I’m excited to get to work on it!

I’ve never owned a Toyota or Lexus before and have had a bunch of bmws on which I’ve swapped engines and re-programmed and done all sorts of fun stuff to. I read for ages and picked the gx for its value and capability combo, and that I couldn’t find a 100 series LC/LX with less than 200k miles under 10 grand in good shape. I like that this is comfy and capable and will fit kids when I need it to and parts are so cheap compared to my bmws! 😂

I’ve already bought a second set of wheels from an ‘11 Tacoma with better tires than were on it when I got it to tide me over while I decide what to do with it. I’ve ordered a complete timing belt/water pump kit and a few other small plastic parts that need replacing. I’ll likely do that service next weekend.

I’ve already learned a lot from this forum and appreciate all the information everyone has shared, so thanks!

Like a lot of GX’s the dash has some cracks and the belt line trim is perished. After I make sure the mechanics are sorted I’ll get the belt line fixed. I’m still trying to figure out what to do about the dash. The previous owners didn’t get on that when they could have. 😕

The rear airbags and compressor, along with other hardware for the system, was replaced less than 20k miles ago but from what I’ve read most people swap out for springs when they lift the truck. Not sure on that yet either. I’m not going to be rock crawling in Moab (yet) so I don’t need anything mental (yet).

I’m here to learn and document the process of transforming the rig and hopefully find some others who are in Colorado who want to get out on some trails! I am a technological nerd and have years of photo/video experience so I’ll probably make some fun adventure vids.

I’ve been reading build threads and really dig what can be done with this rig. That’s all for now, I wanted to make my introduction!

-Ross

Welcome, and congrats on the rig! You seem to have a very sound approach and skills, it'll be interesting to see how your journey unfolds!

Congrats on your rig! In CO, my guess is you will appreciate a good set of AT's for the snow and the thousands of miles of fire roads you have in your back door. Perhaps you can find some take offs from a Jeep or something?? These are very capable trucks in stock form so, I recommend not rushing into anything. Get to know your truck by doing the routine maintenance (which it seems you have started), driving it, and figure out what you want to do with it. If you change your mind half way through or do it bit by bit, you will likely cost yourself more $$ and a bit of :bang: . Ask me how I know :beer:

Thanks for the welcome! I’ve been looking at the bfg k02s and tend to wait until I find a sale or last year’s model. The tires I got on the Tacoma rims are Michelin LTX2s with good tread and will be great for this winter, unless I find a set of secondhand dedicated snow tires. 😬

I’ve already got a list of trails to check out with it, several that I’ve been on with friends before, and later in the summer I’ll head to the alpine loop in southwest Colorado to do some exploring.

Today I got dash lights like a Christmas tree and it seems the gas cap worked it’s way loose to cause it. I’m not sure it’s an OEM cap so I’ll have to remedy that. Code scanner had evap codes and it failed a leak test so I lubed it up a bit and tightened it and cleared the codes. I guess I’ll find out it that worked and order the oe cap.

This week I should be able to get techstream hooked up and then the real fun will begin!

Just got my '06 GX470 and can't wait to play in Co. We spend the summers in the mountains off Hwy. 50 between Gunnison and Montrose. Lake City is across the mountain from us and plan to do the Alpine Loop after the snow melts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom