Hg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
crazymexican.com
I was wondering if I should be looking for a mark on the timing chain and timing gear as the FSM indicates. Reference “Place the matchmarks on the camshaft timing gear and timing chain” Included picture for reference. www.crazymexican.com/hg . The reason I ask is because I cannot find a line running through them as indicated in the photo matchmarks.jpg . I think I’m ready for the removal of the timing and the cams, but just wanted to double check. Try to realize I’m doing this alone in my two car garage and somewhat in the dark trying not to wake my HOA with the air compressor. So bottom line I’ve got the single dots in the middle of the cam shaft aligned and the two dots on the on the outer engine aligned and have set the crankshaft pulley mark at” 0”. Trying to explain it in words as best I can, but if you’ve done this before you should know what I’m talking about. Thanks for any insight.

I think my superior brain (beer) sobered up to figure out that I should place the matchmark. :) ?
I'm ready to start cranking.....

Yes - the gears of both shafts have marks 180 degrees opposite each other on the rearward face. One mark is two holes, the other is a single hole. Line them up so the single marks are toward each other and the double marks are away from each other, and they are all in a horizontal line. If this is the case, and you can look down at the timing mark on the crank pulley and see that it's at "0" or Top Dead Center, then you are in the proper position to remove the cams.

Precisely follow the procedure for loosening the cams, and remove the correct cam first. Don't forget the little bolt (size is in your "tips" sheet) to hold the exhaust cam gear's laminated structure together (it has a spring loaded gear in it).

DougM

Thanks Doug! Thats awesome, so I'm doing just find by the FSM then. Man that DVD would of been nice. :) Thanks again for the help, going to press on into the wee hours of the night. (About an hour more)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom