Here's my new (to me) '94 KZJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey so I got the 94 prado with the spare taken off the back, I'm not sure if it was just for visibility for city driving or if it's because it's sitting on 33's now. What I'm wondering is can I mount the spare (also a 33) on the back door in the original location or is it too heavy? I've seen pics with seemingly bigger tires mounted on the back but i don't know if the hinges were reinforced or not.

Also, here she is:

20200523_075240.jpg
20200523_071831.jpg
20200523_074800.jpg

Last edited:
Hey so I got the 94 prado with the spare taken off the back, I'm not sure if it was just for visibility for city driving or if it's because it's sitting on 33's now. What I'm wondering is can I mount the spare (also a 33) on the back door in the original location or is it too heavy? I've seen pics with seemingly bigger tires mounted on the back but i don't know if the hinges were reinforced or not.

Also, here she is:

View attachment 2319448View attachment 2319449View attachment 2319450

Looks great! I believe a 33" will fit on the back door mount if you turn the bracket up-side-down. The tire will then interfere with the rear window wiper, but installing a wheel spacer will probably correct that problem.

I have a BJ74 and the 33" spare fit with no changes.
It sort of sat on the bumper when door was shut. Made me feel better about weight.

Nice looking prado! Any plans for it?

Thanks! Yeah plan is to turn it into an overland rig over the next 4 years and take it down to argentina. Right now just doing research but it'll be pretty standard, rooftop tent, winch, awning, build a rack system for the back, considering putting a locking system in for the diffs... Playing it by ear right now, getting used to the vehicle and getting basic maintenance out the way. Replaced the belts, soon will replace the timing belt. Did a coolant flush, had an exhaust leak repaired...

Ah and for mounting the spare, I decided to a local stainless steel fabricator make one for me to fit the tire dimensions the way I want so we'll see how that turns out. It'll be ready early next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom