Helper airbags (Firestone, etc.) installed near Chapel Hill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 2020 Heritage Edition and I often tow a small camping trailer with about 260-270 lbs of tongue weight. I get a lot of sag when towing (I also have a lift which makes it more pronounced) and I'd like to have a set of helper airbags installed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop to have this done near Chapel Hill? Thanks!

When I had Dobinson Flexicoils on my Cruiser, the rear springs and shocks did not handle heavy loads very well. I considered purchasing these to improve the weight handling.

I ended up going a different route and replaced my Fox shocks and Dobinson springs in the rear with Dobinson IMS shocks and Dobinson tapered coil springs instead. We haven't done any camping trips to test the new suspension yet.

When I had Dobinson Flexicoils on my Cruiser, the rear springs and shocks did not handle heavy loads very well. I considered purchasing these to improve the weight handling.

I ended up going a different route and replaced my Fox shocks and Dobinson springs in the rear with Dobinson IMS shocks and Dobinson tapered coil springs instead. We haven't done any camping trips to test the new suspension yet.
Yeah that's exactly what I've been looking at. I like how my truck rides now so was trying to avoid heavier springs and just use the airbags when towing or if I'm really heavily loaded. Might be worth trying some tapered springs though.

Yeah that's exactly what I've been looking at. I like how my truck rides now so was trying to avoid heavier springs and just use the airbags when towing or if I'm really heavily loaded. Might be worth trying some tapered springs though.
Dobinson Flexicoils are a progressive spring but with a family of four, two dogs, camping gear, fridge, rear bumper, spare tire, the spring rate wasn't enough and the Cruiser sagged quite a bit. The Dobinson tapered coils are a much more progressive spring with a soft initial feel with a rapid ramp up for heavier loads. They should maintain a soft feel and control even with more weight. My Flexicoils were 4", the tapered coils are 3" but on the truck the height is about the same.

The airbags are nice for providing support when needed and not impacting the ride when they are empty.
1615994923048.png

Can't comment on shops but depending on your mechanical ability, it's an afternoon job. I put a set in my LX470 last year for my racing trailer to relieve some stress on the AHC system.
Judging by your build thread I'm definitely not at your mechanical ability! But this looks like something that could be worth a try.

Judging by your build thread I'm definitely not at your mechanical ability! But this looks like something that could be worth a try.

Definitely not the worst job! I'm not sure of the setup on the 200s but some folks on the 100 series have had luck just jacking up one side of the rear axle on each side ones the shocks are unbolted and flexing the axle enough to pop the springs out. Then the bags go inside the springs, drill out the seat perch and route lines and you're golden.

I'd offer to lend a hand but I just tore my ACL and meniscus and am currently waiting for surgery next week. Good luck though! The bags are a great addition.

Definitely not the worst job! I'm not sure of the setup on the 200s but some folks on the 100 series have had luck just jacking up one side of the rear axle on each side ones the shocks are unbolted and flexing the axle enough to pop the springs out. Then the bags go inside the springs, drill out the seat perch and route lines and you're golden.

I'd offer to lend a hand but I just tore my ACL and meniscus and am currently waiting for surgery next week. Good luck though! The bags are a great addition.
Same process, only addition is opening KDSS valve 3 turns to let it droop a bit more, but not more than that or else you're F'ed! Passenger side spring will pop out stupid easy, driver you just gotta put some weight down on the axle to get the spring out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom