Help with a Rochester Q-jet in time for snow wheeling! (1 Viewer)

I rebuilt the carb and everything is clean and seems to be working great. However when the accelerator pump is pressed teh gas comes streaming out through these holes in the sides of the primarys?! WTF eh?.

These "weep" holes are passages right next to the passages that it looks like the fuel needs to go through to get to the jets.

Any help? It's snowing and I wanna get this rig going again.

Chris

Nobody? Any guesses as to what the other holes are in the primary barrels?

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!
Well.......the Q-jet being roughly similar to the Thermoquad, I'll venture an answer.
It's supposed to do that. Not 100% clear on the specific location you describe, but somewhere on the Q-jet, addtl fuel is needed during hard throttle tromps to temporarily richen up the mixture till the secondary jets catch up. Otherwise, the mix would go WAY lean, and the motor would stumble.

So, unless otherwise noted, that's just a normal accel pump shot of fuel.

Ok, that makes since... I'll double check that the jets aren't clogged and go from there.

Chris

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!
http://www.hotrodders.com/kb/browselinks.php?c=69

Also, a quick google search revealed this promising site. I didn't dig too much myself.
Scroll down to "Qjet" and it will link to another vette site, detailing a Q-jet rebuild and tuning procedure. Asssuming you need that sort of stuff.
Good luck with avoiding the dreaded Q-bog.
My .02,
Mike

Yeah, I bought a q-jet book at barnes and noble yesterday.... there's a lot going on there that I didn't understand.

I'm going back over everything again. But thanks for the link.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom