Help with 2001 Tundra w/ 4.7 Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yoda-g3

SILVER Star
Threads
Found a pretty clean 01 Tundra SR5 4x4 with the v8 and 160k on it. Aside from the rust issue to inspect, are there any there major issues to look at? Seems like I've heard word of a brake shudder I should keep an eye out for as well.

I plan of buying it for a tow rig for a boat rental business I run during the summer. Will most likely only put 5k-7k on it a year so the miles don't have me to worried.

Any help appreciated!

For the 01s I think the only issues were the brakes, and th OD in the transmission would go out before 100,000 miles on some of them. If it's mechanically sound and the price is good, it should be fine....

Not sure if the 4.7 is similar to an 05 model( I know the 05 and 06 models had the horspower bump) but if that engine has a timing belt I would check to see when/if it was done. The 05 4.7 litre is an interference engine so not one to mess with a broken belt.

Also not sure if the 01 models had the recall on the lower balljoints. Might want to see if they apply and see if they were done or still can be.

I have a 02 Tundra V8 as one of my tow vehicles. It's a great all around work truck, daily driver, and part time tow rig. It's a 1/2 ton that is optimized for light load around town. While it can handle 7k+ lbs towing capacity, anything over 4k will tax the drivetrain and puts the gas milage into single digit. Make sure you have the aux transmission cooler as it is still running the older smaller A340 transmission. I run M1 syn ATF fluid and a scan gauge to monitor the transmission temperature.

It was the fastest 1/2 truck back in 2001. It still hauls!

Check the ball joint and (IIRC) O2 sensor recall. 01/02 still has the older A340 4 speed tranmission with the lower HP engine. I would double check the transmission fuild to make sure it hasn't overheated the transmission. Also make sure to have the timing belt serviced every 80k miles as it is an interference engine.

The only problem that kept coming back was the accessCab pop-out window lock. The little plastic swingout arm on it kept breaking. I had to purchase the entire hinge from Toyota just to get the plastic arm. I've learn to replace the little plastic arm without taking out the entire hinge until I bought some aluminum arms from someone on TundraSolution.com.

Last edited:
I had not heard of the timing belt problem. What do you mean by interference engine? Pardon my ignorance.

I had not heard of the timing belt problem. What do you mean by interference engine? Pardon my ignorance.
Not a problem with the timing belt but rather that it actually has one! The 4.7 is said to be an "interference fit" engine meaning if the belt ever breaks then the pistons can hit the valves and cause extensive damage.
A non interference engine means that even if, for instance a 3.4 Litre V6, the timing belt breaks the pistons can not hit the valves. Therefore you get the vehicle to a garage and line it back up with a new belt and away you go.
On a 4.7 if you break a belt you will likely be calling the wreckers looking for a used engine.:frown:

Not sure if the 4.7 is similar to an 05 model( I know the 05 and 06 models had the horspower bump) but if that engine has a timing belt I would check to see when/if it was done. The 05 4.7 litre is an interference engine so not one to mess with a broken belt.

Also not sure if the 01 models had the recall on the lower balljoints. Might want to see if they apply and see if they were done or still can be.

Agree - timing belt, water pump, 4th gear in the tranny need to be checked.

I have a 02 Tundra V8 as one of my tow vehicles. It's a great all around work truck, daily driver, and part time tow rig. It's a 1/2 ton that is optimized for light load around town. While it can handle 7k+ lbs towing capacity, anything over 4k will tax the drivetrain and puts the gas milage into single digit. Make sure you have the aux transmission cooler as it is still running the older smaller A340 transmission. I run M1 syn ATF fluid and a scan gauge to monitor the transmission temperature.

It was the fastest 1/2 truck back in 2001. It still hauls!

I get 10.8-11.5 towing my 89 4Runner on an 18" car trailer (about 6300#) w/ my 06... did better w/ my 04. Towing anything over 3500# should be done only with a weight distributing hitch.

7K# is over the rating for the 01, IIRC... watch the legalities and liabilities of that.

The defective thrust washer that explodes in the trans always happens within the first 60K so this one with 160 should be no issue. I did the timing belt and waterpump on my '00 this past weekend, it was a pretty easy job, but time consuming, I would say ~10 hours at my normal leisurely pace. During the ownership of my truck, I have had to replace: both rear axle seals, a front wheel bearing, both sway bar links, I put new seat foam in the driver’s seat, replaced the shocks with bilstein 5100 series units way better ride, both exhaust manifolds are cracked and I need to install the updated ones. I'm constantly fxxxing with the front brakes; I need to find a solution to that problem that isn't $600 cost from toyota for the TSB calipers. I sometimes have a shimmy from the front end unrelated to tire balance that I need to figure out, most likely balljoints. All things considered it has been a great reliable truck and has aged very well. Mine has just over 200K on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom