Help sealing the snorkel/air intake to airbox joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to install my (generic) snorkel to my 2000 Hilux Surf (1kz-te diesel engine). My airbox is on the opposite side to you gas engine guys, but the principle is the same.

I've done a lot of research into products which can be used to seal the various snorkel/airbox joints, especially in the fender, but i'm wondering what you guys use to seal the actual connection between the intake and the airbox.
These toyota airboxes have a bit of an opening where the intake pipe is larger than the receiving airbox pipe, with just a small foam o ring between the two (mine disintegrated ages ago).

I don't want to use any sort of seal that I won't be able to remove if I ever need to pull off the airbox to do work on the engine or to access anything, so I'm trying to think of ways to seal off this joint but without anything that would permanently bond the two pieces together.

I've thought about finding an appropriately sized o-ring (measuring the intake pipe with a caliper?) but being here in Jamaica the choices will be slim to find the right size.

Thanks!

An O ring seal would be hard to maintain with the not round intake pipes. It will need something more. I did not use anything on mine yet because it was a decently tight fit even though the foam was rotted away. Some sort of foaming type glue like Gorilla Glue could work or even a bead of silicone really. Not a lot, just enough to make a seal. Don't drive it for 3-4 hours either and likely best to let it sit overnight. Leave the airbox lid off and air filter out while it dries.

Great advice. I may have to give it a go with the silicone. I'm just conscious that at some point i'll likely have to take off the airbox to access some part or wiring or the other, to just want a solution that can be undone if needed.

Still working through some engine work, so once that is done the final step is to cut the fender, rustproof it and pop that snorkel on!

An O ring seal would be hard to maintain with the not round intake pipes. It will need something more. I did not use anything on mine yet because it was a decently tight fit even though the foam was rotted away. Some sort of foaming type glue like Gorilla Glue could work or even a bead of silicone really. Not a lot, just enough to make a seal. Don't drive it for 3-4 hours either and likely best to let it sit overnight. Leave the airbox lid off and air filter out while it dries.

Great advice. I may have to give it a go with the silicone. I'm just conscious that at some point i'll likely have to take off the airbox to access some part or wiring or the other, to just want a solution that can be undone if needed.

Still working through some engine work, so once that is done the final step is to cut the fender, rustproof it and pop that snorkel on!

If you can wrap the inner pipe with a layer of plastic food wrap it’ll come apart a lot easier.

If you can wrap the inner pipe with a layer of plastic food wrap it’ll come apart a lot easier.

Interesting advice and something I will have to consider! Just would need to find some wrap that could take the heat and wear and tear .

Really eager to get this snorkel installed once i'm finished with the engine work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom