Help newbie 1974 FJ40 coax cable antenna

So I just bought a 1974 FJ40 which has a 4 plus swing out bumper and a coaxial cable wired up for cb antenna

My brother gave me his galaxy dx 959 with mic. I bought a simple cigarette lighter adapter and am excited to connect.

The antenna mount looked strange and I think I buggered it up so I reconnected. See pictures below.

This seemed to work as I turned on the cb and got static until I got to channel 6 and was able to hear some chatter.

Now when I go to channel one and 40, and check the swr meter, I am above 3. Indeed in every channel, the swr meter alert led turns on.

Obviously I was testing in my closed garage as it is cold here in Philadelphia, but I am encouraged because at least I heard something.

Is my setup going to work, or do I definitely have to do some tuning of antenna?

20181129_162326.jpg

20181129_162340.jpg

20181129_162635.jpg

20181129_162819.jpg

20181129_162937.jpg

chupacabra

I have my cb and 2 Meter ham antennas on my 4Plus bumper also. There is not much ground plane back there, so a 1/2-wave antenna will tune up a lot easier and give better SWR than a 5/8-wave or 1/4-wave antenna.

I didn't trust the swing-outs to have a good ground with the frame, because of the greased bronze bushings on the pivot pins, so I ran a braided stainless steel ground strap from the antenna mount to a bolt in the tub (long enough for the basket to swing out). If you don't have a good electrical ground for the antenna, you will get very high SWR.

@1911 this is really useful information. I think I want to do the same which is run cb and ham but start with cb first.

I tried looking for a 1/2 wave antenna but am confused. Can you direct me to one? I found the firestik no ground plane antenna. Is this the same?

I will have to check where the ground goes to. As can be seen in the photo, there is a ground from the screw for the antenna mount down the cord. Since this is an aluminum tub, I will have to verify that this goes down to the frame.

chupacabra

@1911 this is really useful information. I think I want to do the same which is run cb and ham but start with cb first.

I tried looking for a 1/2 wave antenna but am confused. Can you direct me to one? I found the firestik no ground plane antenna. Is this the same?
Yes; any "no ground plane" antenna is by definition 1/2-wave. I think mine is a Wilson, but it's been long enough that I don't really remember or have any literature from it. I could take a photo of mine if you want.

I will have to check where the ground goes to. As can be seen in the photo, there is a ground from the screw for the antenna mount down the cord. Since this is an aluminum tub, I will have to verify that this goes down to the frame.
That would be best. Envious of your aluminum tub though!

Top Bottom