Help newbie 1974 FJ40 coax cable antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just bought a 1974 FJ40 which has a 4 plus swing out bumper and a coaxial cable wired up for cb antenna

My brother gave me his galaxy dx 959 with mic. I bought a simple cigarette lighter adapter and am excited to connect.

The antenna mount looked strange and I think I buggered it up so I reconnected. See pictures below.

This seemed to work as I turned on the cb and got static until I got to channel 6 and was able to hear some chatter.

Now when I go to channel one and 40, and check the swr meter, I am above 3. Indeed in every channel, the swr meter alert led turns on.

Obviously I was testing in my closed garage as it is cold here in Philadelphia, but I am encouraged because at least I heard something.

Is my setup going to work, or do I definitely have to do some tuning of antenna?

20181129_162326.jpg

20181129_162340.jpg

20181129_162635.jpg

20181129_162819.jpg

20181129_162937.jpg

Okay. I just read that testing inside a garage is a big no-no. Will have to test outside in a clear field.

I have my cb and 2 Meter ham antennas on my 4Plus bumper also. There is not much ground plane back there, so a 1/2-wave antenna will tune up a lot easier and give better SWR than a 5/8-wave or 1/4-wave antenna.

I didn't trust the swing-outs to have a good ground with the frame, because of the greased bronze bushings on the pivot pins, so I ran a braided stainless steel ground strap from the antenna mount to a bolt in the tub (long enough for the basket to swing out). If you don't have a good electrical ground for the antenna, you will get very high SWR.

@1911 this is really useful information. I think I want to do the same which is run cb and ham but start with cb first.

I tried looking for a 1/2 wave antenna but am confused. Can you direct me to one? I found the firestik no ground plane antenna. Is this the same?

I will have to check where the ground goes to. As can be seen in the photo, there is a ground from the screw for the antenna mount down the cord. Since this is an aluminum tub, I will have to verify that this goes down to the frame.

@1911 this is really useful information. I think I want to do the same which is run cb and ham but start with cb first.

I tried looking for a 1/2 wave antenna but am confused. Can you direct me to one? I found the firestik no ground plane antenna. Is this the same?

Yes; any "no ground plane" antenna is by definition 1/2-wave. I think mine is a Wilson, but it's been long enough that I don't really remember or have any literature from it. I could take a photo of mine if you want.

I will have to check where the ground goes to. As can be seen in the photo, there is a ground from the screw for the antenna mount down the cord. Since this is an aluminum tub, I will have to verify that this goes down to the frame.

That would be best. Envious of your aluminum tub though!

So I just bought a 1974 FJ40 which has a 4 plus swing out bumper and a coaxial cable wired up for cb antenna

My brother gave me his galaxy dx 959 with mic. I bought a simple cigarette lighter adapter and am excited to connect.

The antenna mount looked strange and I think I buggered it up so I reconnected. See pictures below.

This seemed to work as I turned on the cb and got static until I got to channel 6 and was able to hear some chatter.

Now when I go to channel one and 40, and check the swr meter, I am above 3. Indeed in every channel, the swr meter alert led turns on.

Obviously I was testing in my closed garage as it is cold here in Philadelphia, but I am encouraged because at least I heard something.

Is my setup going to work, or do I definitely have to do some tuning of antenna?

View attachment 1842675

View attachment 1842676

View attachment 1842677

View attachment 1842678

View attachment 1842679

I've used the same replacement end before, and from what I remember, the outer braid is supposed to go on the outside of the first sleeve (over the smooth section and NOT over the threads) and pressed between it and the next sleeve, as you tighten them together.

I've used the same replacement end before, and from what I remember, the outer braid is supposed to go on the outside of the first sleeve (over the smooth section and NOT over the threads) and pressed between it and the next sleeve, as you tighten them together.
I need to try this. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom