Help needed near Charlotte - Rear Seat Install in FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Del,

I am very pleased with the seat thus far. It is well made, fits with the look of the cruiser and the fold and tumble functionality is important to me given how I use it.

The CCOT kit includes the seat belts and the front brackets so as to use the body mount bolts. I ordered my seat and seat belts (note: only lap belts, no shoulder restraints) from 4WP. If you have a family cage, I'd investigate trying to make bets with shoulder restraints work.

David

I flipped the bracket around and they lined up perfectly. In your picture you are trying to install them the way TJ's have them, but I flipped them and it took out all of the difference in width.

Glad you got it worked out.

Jeremy

Sorry for the delayed reply. The CCOT brackets just arrived via USPS today.

HERE is a link to some photos I've taken thus far. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Here are the facts:
  • The distance between the two body mount bolts I'd hoped to utilize is 35 1/4"
  • The bar that runs through the bottom of the Bestop seat is 40" long and 1" in on each end is notched for a ring to mount and hold the seat in position.
  • The Bestop bracket is 6" in height
  • The Cool Cruiser bracket is 6 3/4" in height
  • When the Bestop brackets are mounted using the body mount bolts, due to their shape as shown in the photo (Left Bestop Mounting Bracket photo 2) the distance between the two brackets is > 40"
  • When the Cool Cruiser brackets are used, the distance between the two brackets is only 35". Even if they weren't the same but instead were mirrors of each other, they would still be too close together. :bang:

Given these facts, I suspect the best plan is to throw in the towel as far as trying to utilize the two body mount bolts. :meh: My cruiser isn't pristine and I just need to suck it up. Drilling the four holes and using the Bestop hardware is probably the best thing.

I'll probably take advantage of the nice weather tomorrow and knock this out.

Stan, I thought more about having something fabricated and while I'm sure you are more than capable, I don't think I could provide you what you'd need. It's been 24 years since my last mechanical drafting class (how did I get this old?).

Item A. Hmmmmm.....

coolfj40_2149_18763656

Seat Belts FJ40

Hi Sean,

I really thought Item A would be a good substitute for the factory seat bracket but it didn't pan out. Needless to say, I'll be trying to sell them on mud in the weeks ahead.

I've already gotten a fair amount of use out of the rear seat and it looks and functions great.

David

Hi Sean,

I really thought Item A would be a good substitute for the factory seat bracket but it didn't pan out. Needless to say, I'll be trying to sell them on mud in the weeks ahead.

I've already gotten a fair amount of use out of the rear seat and it looks and functions great.

David

Was it too short? Wrong angle?

Hi Sean,

The height was actually fine it was the angle. Check out photo #6 ("Cool Cruisers Brackets Photo") and notice the angle at which they are bent. You (and I) couldn't see that from the photo on their site. When the CCOT brackets are used, the distance between them was only 35" (visualize them both mounted as L). Even if they weren't the same, but instead were mirror images of each other (visualize L and _l), they would still be too close together.

David

I hate to say it, but I wish I'd shelled out the extra $$$ for the CCOT package. I think using their set up would have kept me from drilling through bed cross brace.

I ordered mine today from CCOT. Should be here and installed by Monday evening! Also ordered a pair of Corbeau Baja RS for me and momma up front! ;) Gotta get ready for STR! :)

I hope your install goes well! Feel free to call me if you want to talk it through before drilling any holes and please document with pics as I want to see the CCOT set up. My number is 704 Seven 79 Four 999.

I hope your install goes well! Feel free to call me if you want to talk it through before drilling any holes and please document with pics as I want to see the CCOT set up. My number is 704 Seven 79 Four 999.

I previously had a Tracker seat back there, so I already have a few extra holes! ;)

David,
My seat should arrive tommorow or friday and I will be installing it this weekend. If you dont mind I would like to call you if I run into any issues that maybe you can help me out with.

I got my seat from 4wheel parts as well. So I will be doing the same install as you.

I will post up pics once I am done installing to add to the info on this thread if you dont mind.

DEL

David,
If you dont mind I would like to call you if I run into any issues that maybe you can help me out with.

I will post up pics once I am done installing to add to the info on this thread if you dont mind.

DEL

Hi Del,

Feel free to call me whenever. I would suggest calling me before you get started as I have a few suggestions to help you avoid issues I faced. I plan to be available all day on Saturday, but will be at church and spending time with family on Easter Sunday.

I'd like to see your pics and adding them to this thread is a great idea.

Best wishes!

David

David,

If you dont mind. Can you post up a list of hardware tht you ended up using.

My seat has not come in yet so I have no idea as to what bolt sizes I will need, but would like to be prepared for when it arives.

Having said that, I want to purchase all the hardware during my lunch break tommorow and figured I could use a list of hardware that worked for you as a refrence.

Thanks
DEL

Hi Del,

I had some grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts I'd purchased at Fastenal left over from my bumper install and Cirbo generously gave me several fender washers had had lying around. I used these to anchor the seat. You'll need four of everything. Sorry, but I don't recall the length, diameter or thread of the bolts or the diameter of the fender washer off hand. I suspect 1/2" x 1 1/4" bolts would be more than sufficient along with fender washers having a 2" diameter.

My seat belts came with 4 grade 8 fender washers, bolts and nuts. Again, not sure of the sizes but I suspect they were 1/2" x 1 1/4" bolts and fender washers with 2" diameters. You'll be able to use 2 of these to mount the rear/center mount for the seat (one forward and one back).

I wouldn't suggest anything larger than a 2" fender washer as it was a tight fit in my case.

In an accident, I beleive the the stress will be on the seat belts and not the seat.

I hope this helps.

David

Del and Sean - any pics of your install to share?

Jeremy - I read about your accident and saw where the seat became a projectile. Any thought about how this could have been avoided?

Del and Sean - any pics of your install to share?

Jeremy - I read about your accident and saw where the seat became a projectile. Any thought about how this could have been avoided?

Heading to Guam in the morning, I'll try to post some during the flight. :grinpimp:

My install was exactly like urs. Really nothing different. I have been putting in 18 hour work days so haven't had a chance ro post up any pics.
So far I am very pleased with the results and the kids love it. I will post up pics tonight or tomorrow night.
I pretty much followed ur install and did mine the same so thanks for posting up ur install

Del

The first picture is right out of the box showing the bracket in the CCOT seat!

The second is the bolt through to the frame!
SAM_2124 (1).jpg
SAM_2126 (1).jpg

The third shows where I had to shim the rubber foot with washers. I'll later replace this with a longer screw and wider washers. The front bracket bolted to the floor can be seen as well.

The fourth shows the latch has some play. When I get long screws and more washers, this latch with be tighter.
SAM_2127 (1).jpg
SAM_2130 (1).jpg

The rear bolts on my seat need a spacer as well. there is a small wiggle due to the latch sitting on top of one of the ridges and the rest of the seat resting on one of the valleys on the floor board. If I was smarter I would have installed a rubber spacer about 1/4 " to 1/2" thick like the photo above. I had the kids sit on the back seat and due to the design and the angle which the seat rests it does not wiggle enough when they are on it to want to make me unbolt the seat to add the spacers.

DEL

The rear bolts on my seat need a spacer as well. there is a small wiggle due to the latch sitting on top of one of the ridges and the rest of the seat resting on one of the valleys on the floor board. If I was smarter I would have installed a rubber spacer about 1/4 " to 1/2" thick like the photo above. I had the kids sit on the back seat and due to the design and the angle which the seat rests it does not wiggle enough when they are on it to want to make me unbolt the seat to add the spacers.

DEL

I even called CCOT and talked to one of the guys in their shop. He suggested the washers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom