Help identify bolt holes in 1964 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to do the body repairs in my 1964 FST, and I wanted to start identifying what are actual factory holes, and what aren't. Firstly, I was going to source a set of rear seats, but was surprised to see that I don't have holes in the typical places.

Does anyone know if there were early rear (side facing) FJ40 seats that did not bolt in to the upper channel, but only to the fender well or tub? I've perused the forum and don't see any mention of such a thing...

I was looking for telltale holes on my FJ to indicate that it ever had rear seats – and discovered that I have no threaded holes on the small upper channel. I know that late-60, early-70 seats mounted partially to that point, but what about earlier?

I've sourced a few photos that appear to not have the upper mounts, but it's really hard to tell. Photos, comments, and advice would be much appreciated. I've attached a photo of what I'm working with over here, and trying to identify the existing holes before I weld them up. Only original factory holes will stay.

Left-Rear-Fender.jpg

Right-rear-fender.jpg

Possibly the green holes are from the hand tools and bottle jack?

Possibly the green holes are from the hand tools and bottle jack?

I think in 1964 that the bottle jack was stored in the box under the driver's seat.

Red dots are probably to do with the soft top frame for the canvas door frame brackets....that tub has thefactory soft top bow mounts in the corner.
Green dots PO probably had a version of jump seat.

Red dots are probably to do with the soft top frame for the canvas door frame brackets....that tub has thefactory soft top bow mounts in the corner.
Green dots PO probably had a version of jump seat.

Yeah, the way the green holes mirror from left to right makes me think the same thing, but it's an odd triangular hole pattern. Anyone seen that before?

Yeah, it's a FST, but I don't know what would have gone in the red holes. On each side, the rearmost hole is slightly larger than the fore hole. Was there a rear canvas door option, because I have a solid dropdown tailgate?

Seth,

I don't have the answers, but I sure like the way you highlighted those bolt holes in your photos.

Seth,

I don't have the answers, but I sure like the way you highlighted those bolt holes in your photos.
Haha, thanks Bear.

@seth

The red dots are for the original jump seat arms

The dark blue is for the jump seat frame

Purple/pink from a roll bar

Green dots from an older USA type Jerry can holders

Light blue are the jack bar clips

Are you sure you have a 64' and not earlier tub I can't recall the exact date ... But... seat back connecting point started at some point 64' I think

What does your vin say .... 4fj40xxxxx or 3fj40xxxxx

Last edited:
@seth

The red dots are for the original jump seat arms

The dark blue is for the jump seat frame

Purple/pink from a roll bar

Green dots from an older USA type Jerry can holders

Light blue are the jack bar clips

Are you sure you have a 64' and not earlier tub I can't recall the exact date ... But... seat back connecting point started at some point 64' I think

Thanks Johnny!
This was a central California hunting vehicle for 45+ years, so it makes sense that the original owner would have had jerry cans along with a custom rear cooler basket and gun holder near the driver's seat! I wonder if I can hunt down a pair of those early jump seats??!

IMG_5291.JPG

@seth

I'm FJ4032561
My vin puts me at 12/64, I believe... registered in California with a '65' brass tag.

With that being said, it's very clear that there are some earlier things on my truck. Perhaps because it was an FST, they utilized some of the earlier mounting options?

So, now the mystery is this:

If the blue and red holes are for the factory jumpseats, then why are there no mounting holes in the upper channel? Were there early seats that mounted without the upper supports? See attached image to see the kind of seat that I would have expected to fit here, but notice that there should be 4 holes in the upper tub channel.

IMG_0614.JPG

FJ40SeatMounts.jpg

Anyone know why these would be missing?

MissingHoles_FJ40.jpg

Red dots and blue dots are for jump seats. The early seats didn't mount to the tub rails.

The first reference I've found that show the tub rail mounts are in the 1967 parts book. The 1965 book clearly shows the absence of tub rail mounts and I don't have the 1966 book to confirm whether they arrived in 1966 or 1967. I've owned several early 60's FJ40's and can confirm they're not supposed to have the jump seat mounts on the frame rail.

Red dots and blue dots are for jump seats. The early seats didn't mount to the tub rails.

The first reference I've found that show the tub rail mounts are in the 1967 parts book. The 1965 book clearly shows the absence of tub rail mounts and I don't have the 1966 book to confirm whether they arrived in 1966 or 1967. I've owned several early 60's FJ40's and can confirm they're not supposed to have the jump seat mounts on the frame rail.
Thanks! Now I just need to hunt down a set of early jump seat frames. Any idea if the reman seat covers from SOR are the same size for the early seats?

Same covers until they made the weird angled Size ones in 1971-72 (forget which year). The 1967 and earlier covers were a coral color and then they changed to grey after that. You could always just grind the brackets off a later set.

Some time in 69 the mounting points changed from using two bolts to just one. These had five mounting points. Your only has three and I would look for a set with two bolts at each location. The feet on the two bolt style were welded on. The single bolt is flattened tube bent over. Not as strong but also had the top lip of the tub bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom