Help ID-ing a transmission. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.poolpartydeathmachine.com
I'm trying to figure out just what transmission I have in my '72. I know it rolled off the lot with a 3-speed, since that was the norm for that year model, but it now has a 4-speed, and a 1980 350 Chevy engine in it. Crawling around underneath the car has revealed a short (maybe a foot long) overall assembly length. The engine swap was done in a moderately rural area (anyone familiar with Willits, CA?) which makes me think that the installer is more likely to take a whole drive train from pick and pull, and not invest in an adapter.

Are there any distinguishing features I should look for to identify the transmission? I think it's an SM465, though the actual case is covered oil, which has gathered a thick layer of dirt, obscurring markings. (which smells of GM*) I plan on taking the tranmission hump cover off before work tomorrow, so I can look at the gearbox, any landmarks I should keep an eye peeled for?

*I meant that as a joke, I grew up in chevy trucks and now drive an Olds as a daily driver, and they all dropped gear oil/tranny fluid faster than the french army dropped their rifles in WWII.

Alright, it took me a while to get the pictures, I couldn't find my camera.

This tranny looks alot like an older SM420 I had in my old '65 Chevy C-10.

pictures didn't load. crud. I hate dial-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom