HELP! I cant get this Steering Joint off for my LIFE.. been a week down and counting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Need some urgent help.... I've been working on this stupid steering rack for a week now....
I finally succumbed to the fact that I wasn't going to get the power steering lines loose... so I had to order new lines... My 4runner has been down for a week+

I finally received my lines yesterday... and now I can't get the steering coupling loose....

I can get it to drop off of the splined shaft, at the very top by loosening the set screw, but once I have the rack on the ground, I cant get the whole assembly off of the old rack to put it on the new rack... I tried reattaching the whole thing, and tightening the top set screw, in hopes that I could get it to pull off of the splines at the bottom set screw... still no luck...

The two 12mm bolts that bolt the bottom half to the top half, with the rubber bushing in between... those will not BUDGE.

I REALLY need to get this done.... I can't explain how much I need to be done with this...

You are going to have to use a puller of some sort to get it off of there. Also, since you aren't too concerned about saving the old rack, you could put some heat on the end to see if that helps, but in the end a puller is probably going to be your easiest and fastest way to get it off there. A Jaw puller or a steering wheel puller might work since you have the holes there on the ears. Just be careful, that looks like a cast piece so I wouldn't beat on it with a hammer too much for fear of breaking off one of the ears.

Is there anything in the little hole on the joint end. lower left of the first picture. If not then it is just seized on the shaft. Some (PB blaster, WD40, etc.) and a puller should pop it right off.

I couldnt get mine off when replacing my rack, either...I ended up cutting through the rubber and shelling out the $45 IIRC, for a new one (mine was rusted and dry rotted anyway...)

But, I DID manage to get the bottom half off of the rack...I used a 1" cold chisel, and tapped it into the space between the two ears the bolt "squeezes" together, to spread them apart....Then another chisel (or punch) underneath the collar with gentle persuasion from a 5lb sledge...LOTS of penetrant and torch helped too...Just dont get it too hot or burn the rubber if you want to keep the joint....

Also, a cheap 2 or 3 jaw puller from your local auto parts/farm supply chain will probably work...Should be under $10-$20...

Last edited:
It finally took an Air Chisel to get it off!!! hopefully ill have her all done tomorrow :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom