Help compairing two fj40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nebraska does'nt have a MUD club so I'll ask your opinion.
I'm looking at two '40's one an 81 and the other a 78 mechanically and body wise they are very similar, the 81 has power steering and a/c which my wife would like and the 78 does not ( would probably have to install) the 78's asking price is $6k less than the 81 but would have to ship farther, possibly $500 more in shipping.
I'm looking for feedback on driveability and long term resale value.
Any responses will be appreciated.
Thanks, Gregg

gas tank under the truck and the AC on the 81 would be the deciding factor. Power steering is not a bad project, AC however nearly impossible.
Me for the money not worth it. I would get the 78.

Brent, thanks for the feed back. Have you noticed a difference in the comfort of the ride between the newer and older fj40's? I may want to pull a camper with it and the wife prefers a comfortable ride. Or, can that be adjusted with different shocks and shackles?

Gregg

Last edited:
unless its been changed, the 78 will have stock 4.11 diff gearing and the 81 will have 3.70... this will have a major impact on highway speed drivability (ie 81 is better). This can be overcome with larger tires, but if you're going to run stock size then the 78 will be high revs on the highway.

on comfort of the ride, neither will be materially different due to design... you can adjust ride with changing components but I wouldn't ever use the term comfort to describe a 40 - they are bouncy and loud. They can be tolerable, but if she wants comfort then get a wagon or FJ Cruiser.

last comment is caution on pulling a trailer... the short wheel base of a 40 makes it a poor tow vehicle. a small/light trailer for short trips maybe, but long hauls with anything of any size behind you will be hair raising. There are people that do it though... maybe others will chime in on this point.

just my $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom