Hella upgrade lights...made in Korea?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just flew home to find my 'party pack' of replacement lights from Susquehanna waiting for me :D.

I've ordered 3 x 100W upgraded high beams and 3 x 80W low beams, plus some other assorted stuff (spare bulb for my Hella map light, rear fog light, etc).

While all the lights are packaged in Hella boxes (and the rear fog is 'Made In Germany') all of the lights appear to be made in Korea (100W) and "Optilux" 80W from Korea as well. I also have a spare 55W in Hella packaging with "Sylvania" USA on the bulb.

All of the low beam lights (9006) seem to have part of the 'painted shield at the tip of the light' missing - poor QC?

Is this legit? I always thought the bulbs were actually made in Germany as well?

Cheers, Hugh

I had the same thing regarding the damaged paint on the tip of the bulb on all 3 low beams. See the "Replacing LX450 bulbs thread" for other issues. Didn't catch the "made in" difference.

I'm interested to see if the optilux are more durable than my experience with the Halogens so far.

I'm assuming 'Optilux' is the manufacturer? Did your come in Hella boxes with made in Korea bulbs?

Cheers, Hugh

It seems that the German made bulbs are impossible to get nowdays. I have looked long and hard and have been unable to find them anymore (as I am sure Susquena has). It seems all the high output bulbs are now made in Korea, with a corresponding decrease in quality (this is reguardless of brand). It is really a shame because the old German bulbs (i.e. H4 55/100 80/100, H1 85 & 100 watt, etc) really lasted for years. I just make sure to order some extra bulbs, knowing that they are 1) inexpensive, and 2) will blow out periodically. I also make sure to turn on the headlights after the truck is started and the voltage has stabilized and shut them off before I shut off the motor.

Cary

My low beam "Hella 80watt" recently went out in under 5 months, while my H4-130/90 units have been going strong for years [like Cary mentions]. So I order a new set from "Rallylights / Susquen...", and was told that Hella had numerous problems with the bulbs / supplier, and have changed to a new vendor.

Will find out soon as the bulbs are due Christmas Week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom