Headliner Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JZH

Threads
Does anyone know which Toyota models have a non-foam-backed headliner--and how to replace it?

I've got a 6-seat 2013 Hiace van from Asia which has an unusual headliner I've never seen before. Unlike the usual 2-3 ply foam-backed headliner glued onto a molded foam backing like most modern vehicles have, this one is basically the same kind of molded foam backing with a fuzzy flocking glued or sprayed directly onto it--no foam layer. (It is factory--I bought the vehicle new in Hong Kong.)

I heard somewhere that maybe the 2nd Gen 4Runner/Surf and 3rd Gen Hilux have the same type of headliner? Anyway, I'm asking because I want to modify the headliner to accept an overhead console, and I'm not sure how to remove what's there so I can glue in the normal type of headliner, or sand it down, or just glue over it, etc. I've only got one headliner and no practical way of getting another one if I screw it up...

Cheers,

JZH

Does anyone know which Toyota models have a non-foam-backed headliner--and how to replace it?

I've got a 6-seat 2013 Hiace van from Asia which has an unusual headliner I've never seen before. Unlike the usual 2-3 ply foam-backed headliner glued onto a molded foam backing like most modern vehicles have, this one is basically the same kind of molded foam backing with a fuzzy flocking glued or sprayed directly onto it--no foam layer. (It is factory--I bought the vehicle new in Hong Kong.)

I heard somewhere that maybe the 2nd Gen 4Runner/Surf and 3rd Gen Hilux have the same type of headliner? Anyway, I'm asking because I want to modify the headliner to accept an overhead console, and I'm not sure how to remove what's there so I can glue in the normal type of headliner, or sand it down, or just glue over it, etc. I've only got one headliner and no practical way of getting another one if I screw it up...

Cheers,

JZH

I recently stripped the headliner from a Ford because the foam backing on the fabric had disintegrated.
The moulded liner was made from a pressed synthetic fibre.
After peeling the fabric off, I used a pressure washer to strip foam and glue remnants off the moulded liner.
My one cleaned up easy in about an hour. Then sat for a couple of days to dry out.
Not sure what the Toyota liner is made from.

The foam-backed headliner makes a big mess when it disintegrates, but it is fairly easy to remove. I didn't think about using a pressure washer when I replaced the foam-backed headliner in my wife's Golf, but it's a good idea. Plenty of YouTube videos on replacing this kind of headliner.

If I can't find anyone who knows how to deal with the "fuzzy" Toyota headliner I will probably have to experiment on a concealed portion (there's not much of that, unfortunately) and see what works best.

Ciao,

JZH

Aha! I have found a video of someone replacing the headliner in a 2009 Tacoma, and from the video it appears to have the same kind of headliner that's in my Hiace. It is apparently a fabric glued directly onto the backing shell, without a foam layer in between.

He filmed as he went and experimented with various methods for removal of the stubborn fabric, settling in the end on brute force. To deal with the fuzzy fabric remnants he spread fiberglass resin on the inside of the headliner, creating a smoother surface for the high-temperature spray glue to adhere to. He also used fiberglass and fiberglass resin to repair several tears/cracks, which was interesting because I didn't think the headliner backing was itself made from fiberglass (it seems more foam-like to me), but it appears to have worked!

I might try mudgudgeon's pressure washer technique? But it was definitely nice to see someone else doing the experimentation, as there was no way I was going to just dump various chemicals onto my one-and-only Hiace headliner like he did to his Tacoma's... :oops:

However, now that I know I can use fiberglass tape and resin to modify the headliner I should be able to install a 2nd Gen Tacoma overhead console into my Hiace's headliner. (Important, because I otherwise would have wasted quite a lot of money on Me-So Customs' 10x switch panel and red/white LED map lights!)

Ciao,

JZH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom