Headlight low beam/high beam recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh the Flashlight forums (which is where the serious light-nerds hang out) the general consensus is that there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers of high quality vehicle bulbs:
* Phillips
* OSRAM
* Sylvania (depending on which bulb, and manufacturing plant)

Anything else is cheap junk.

Get these H9:

Amazon product ASIN B003YMPN3A
and these 9011:

Amazon product ASIN B00480J5CW
You'll notice if you look closely at the pictures: "Made in Germany". If you get ones that say made in China, send them back.
Wow I never knew quality bulbs were so cheap. Think I’m definitely going to try those Philips. I just don’t like these LEDs. They are too white and I’m not impressed, and now I’m worried about them being dangerous. So the modifications to go from H11 to H9 are only on the actual light bulb, and not the actual headlight housing correct?

Last edited:
Oh the Flashlight forums (which is where the serious light-nerds hang out) the general consensus is that there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers of high quality vehicle bulbs:
* Phillips
* OSRAM
* Sylvania (depending on which bulb, and manufacturing plant)

Anything else is cheap junk.

Get these H9:

Amazon product ASIN B003YMPN3A
and these 9011:

Amazon product ASIN B00480J5CW
You'll notice if you look closely at the pictures: "Made in Germany". If you get ones that say made in China, send them back.
I just got the Philips H9 and put them in. They are definitely improved over the stock H11s. Also a much better temperature than the LEDs. Might be about the same level of brightness, but I think the pattern is definitely better with the H9. I’m reading now that over heating can be a problem when doing the H11 to H9 conversion. Have you ever had any problems specially with the GX headlights, or is there nothing to worry about?

I just got the Philips H9 and put them in. They are definitely improved over the stock H11s. Also a much better temperature than the LEDs. Might be about the same level of brightness, but I think the pattern is definitely better with the H9. I’m reading now that over heating can be a problem when doing the H11 to H9 conversion. Have you ever had any problems specially with the GX headlights, or is there nothing to worry about?

I have not had any problem with mine so far - about a year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_light_bulb_types

H9s are 65W
H11 are 55W

That is about 700mA more current, so I doubt you will have problems with the wiring.

Where are you seeing overheating problems? - I'd like to read about it.

I have not had any problem with mine so far - about a year.
List of automotive light bulb types - Wikipedia

H9s are 65W
H11 are 55W

That is about 700mA more current, so I doubt you will have problems with the wiring.

Where are you seeing overheating problems? - I'd like to read about it.
Okay great, I’ll probably leave them in then. I didn’t see anything related to overheating with the Gx specifically, but when I searched for the general H11 to H9 conversion, that seemed to be the number one concern.

If your lights are dull (faded, UX damage, etc) new bulbs is not going to help nearly as much as refreshing the lens by cleaning and polishing.

For lights: Nobody ever wants to hear this, but most (like 99%) of aftermarket LED headlights are a downgrade and dangerous. But because LEDs are newer than incandescent people think it is an upgrade. Cue the army of posters right after me..."but mine work great!" Sure. whatever.

If you want a drop in replacement (with minor trimming) that is both a significant upgrade, and good color temperature, and safe, and legal just get 9011 and H9 Bulbs instead of 9005 and H11.

You have to trim the tabs a little, but otherwise they mount right up.

Sources:

Just curious as to what makes them dangerous? What I most desire is the longevity of the LED...haven't had great luck with halogen headlights over the past few years...

LED technology has come a long way, and there are more high-output bulbs, you just have to find the good ones. Also remember the GX has a projector unit (vs a reflector in the Tacoma) so it's FAR better suited for an upgrade like HID or LED. Upgrading a reflector to LED or HID is a bad idea if you don't retrofit projectors (you'll blind people). The projector has a cutoff and a much better beam pattern to offset any additional "flood" lighting an LED might create. Like the video that was posted, you just need the find the right LED bulb that is quality and won't overheat.

I've owned many cars with factory HID projectors and I feel my beam pattern with the LEDs is similar to my previous HID cars (not output, just the pattern, where the light concentrates). It's not the best pic. If I get inspired tonight I'll take more.

View attachment 2473148

3rd gen tacoma's are projector low beams.

Just curious as to what makes them dangerous? What I most desire is the longevity of the LED...haven't had great luck with halogen headlights over the past few years...

Designing safe legal headlights is a complicated business. There are DOT (in every country) regulations and Toyota has to assume all of the liability that the lights they put together meet those regulations AND work well AND don't cause some kind of problems that would cause people to have wrecks or cause others to wreck because they would be on the hook for the liability if it was a widespread issue.

The headlight housings that are designed for H9/H11 9005/9011 bulbs are designed to work correctly with the way that those incandescent bulbs put out light. (Direction, Intensity, throw, etc.)

Aftermarket LEDs do not put out light the same way as these incandescent bulbs, so they will not work the same.
-Poor aiming/reflections can blind other drivers
-Poor aiming/reflections off of things can blind you
-Color temperature of the light (like the extreme white/blue) causes much worse glare and reflection and color back at the driver.

Headlights that are designed LED FROM THE FACTORY - are entirely different designs.

See the beamshot comparisons in this thread and how pitiful the "upgrade" LEDs work: White wall & lux comparison: LED, H11 LL, H11+100, H9

My headlights on my 2005 are extremely dull, it’s time to replace bulbs. I’ve read through some other threads on the topic but they are all pretty old. Wondering if anyone has any current recommendations for decently priced H11 and 9005 bulbs. It’s hard to seed through the endless amount of options. Are BPS lighting B2s any good? Ideally not trying to spend more than $100 per pair. Any insight appreciated.

Hey I have these light bulbs ordered. I use them already for almost half a year and they are good. 30$ for every pair and the quality is good!

Low and High beams options are here: US $28.69 35% OFF|CARLitek 18000LM H11 led lamp 24 Sides 50W h7 12V Auto Light 72 PCS CSP Chips H8 9005 9006 HB4 HB3 LED car headlight H7 LED Bulb|Car Headlight Bulbs(LED)| - AliExpress

This has been researched EXTENSIVELY on TW as 3rd gen tacomas use the same H11 we do. Of LED's the only ones that compare to a halogen are the hikari ultras, otherwise stick with modified H9's. I have both and will be comparing over the weekend. See link below for more info than you'd ever need on headlights.

How'd you get the hikari ultras to fit? I had a pair of them (eye of megatorn, right?) and I couldn't get the bulb to twist and lock in place. I'm thinking about getting a set of those morimotos 2.0s- I've heard good things

How'd you get the hikari ultras to fit? I had a pair of them (eye of megatorn, right?) and I couldn't get the bulb to twist and lock in place. I'm thinking about getting a set of those morimotos 2.0s- I've heard good things

They went right in with no issues. The bases are separate from the bulbs so they can work in several vehicles but the instructions explained it perfectly.

They went right in with no issues. The bases are separate from the bulbs so they can work in several vehicles but the instructions explained it perfectly.

Crazy. I've wrenched on vehicles for quite a while now. Never had an issue switching out lightbulbs before, but I just couldn't get these all the way in, even with swapping the gaskets. I'm trying to determine which to pull the trigger on now: morimotos 2.0, Lumibright XT1 Gen2, or the DDM Tuning Saber 55W ProX LED. They all seem to have equally good reviews.

I also put in hikari megatrons without issue. Make sure the plastic housing part around the original stock bulb isn’t still attached to the headlight. I had it happen to me once.

If your lights are dull (faded, UX damage, etc) new bulbs is not going to help nearly as much as refreshing the lens by cleaning and polishing.

For lights: Nobody ever wants to hear this, but most (like 99%) of aftermarket LED headlights are a downgrade and dangerous. But because LEDs are newer than incandescent people think it is an upgrade. Cue the army of posters right after me..."but mine work great!" Sure. whatever.

If you want a drop in replacement (with minor trimming) that is both a significant upgrade, and good color temperature, and safe, and legal just get 9011 and H9 Bulbs instead of 9005 and H11.

You have to trim the tabs a little, but otherwise they mount right up.

Sources:

So I did the H9 9011 conversions and I’m happy, thanks for those suggestions. Do you know if there’s something similar that can be done for the H3 fog lights? Is there any better output conversions options? Not really seeing anything when I do a search.

So I did the H9 9011 conversions and I’m happy, thanks for those suggestions. Do you know if there’s something similar that can be done for the H3 fog lights? Is there any better output conversions options? Not really seeing anything when I do a search.
Diode Dynamics makes the best SAE LED fog lights at the moment. Just remove the old fogs and mount them in their place. It's a tight fit but if you mount a Large L-bracket first then you can have full adjustability without hitting any of the bumper which will limit adjustment.

I don't think you can get good light output from the stock fog lights unless you remove the bulb shields in the light housings. I installed the diode dynamics fog light HID conversion kit (3000K) and was initially underwhelmed with the results. After removing the bulb covers, the lights look great and are actually useful now. The HID conversion does require you to drill a 1" hole in the light housings, but overall the install is pretty simple. The compartments in the bumper that the fog lights slide into make nice selves to mount the ballasts on.

Diode Dynamics makes the best SAE LED fog lights at the moment. Just remove the old fogs and mount them in their place. It's a tight fit but if you mount a Large L-bracket first then you can have full adjustability without hitting any of the bumper which will limit adjustment.
Okay good to know. You’re talking about the actual pod lights right? The SS3s and the replacement LED bulbs they sell? I know those are supposed to be good. If so, I honestly just don’t really like the look with the OEM fog housings removed. It kinda just looks funny so I was hoping to find better bulbs. I was debating getting the SS3s or one of their small bars and putting them in the empty grill slots near the fogs though.

Okay good to know. You’re talking about the actual pod lights right? The SS3s and the replacement LED bulbs they sell? I know those are supposed to be good. If so, I honestly just don’t really like the look with the OEM fog housings removed. It kinda just looks funny so I was hoping to find better bulbs. I was debating getting the SS3s or one of their small bars and putting them in the empty grill slots near the fogs though.
Yeah the pods. I have the SS3 sports in selective yellow and they are awesome. Here is a picture of the $2 brackets I used to make adjustment and fit easier.
1607006207865.png

I don't think you can get good light output from the stock fog lights unless you remove the bulb shields in the light housings. I installed the diode dynamics fog light HID conversion kit (3000K) and was initially underwhelmed with the results. After removing the bulb covers, the lights look great and are actually useful now. The HID conversion does require you to drill a 1" hole in the light housings, but overall the install is pretty simple. The compartments in the bumper that the fog lights slide into make nice selves to mount the ballasts on.

Okay cool good to know about removing the shield. That definitely makes sense. Yeah I was actually considering stuff from them as I heard they’re good. I know they have actual just replacement LED bulbs but I can’t imagine they are very bright. They even say in the details that it does not increase output. I saw the HIDs you had but was also just debating getting actual separate DD fogs or small light bars for the empty grill slots. If you had to choose between the DD HID fogs or the SS3 pods which would you say is better?

If you're looking for a true fog light, the SS3 pods are definitely the way to go. They'll give you the proper beam pattern and cutoff along with great light output. I got the HID kit because I originally planned on keeping the stock front end and wanted the fog lights to be a useful light source that didn't get washed out by my upgraded headlights (Had B2s but trying H9s after reading this thread). The DD HID kit achieves that and the yellow light helps with visibility in the rain and fog, but I can pretty much guarantee that the performance is suboptimal compared to a pod designed for that purpose. Also, I've never had anyone flash me when my fog lights were on, but it is an HID in a reflective housing so blinding other drivers is something to be cautious of.

I've been researching lighting options a lot lately, and was also looking into adding some pod lights or led bars next to the fogs behind the cutouts. Ultimately, I've decided that the stock front end just doesn't allow for the lighting setup I'm looking for. I now plan on getting an ARB or Ironman bumper, fitting SS3s or Squadron SAEs in the fog light cutout, and running a couple of LP9s on top if they'll fit. I'll probably get some higher temp HID bulbs and then use my HID kit for low beams so it doesn't go to waste.

Just bought hi and low beams and it transformed my night driving. Hi beam lights up highway signs during the day...
Screenshot_20201205-082150.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom