Head Gasket: A good local shop to do the entire job? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been active on here. Hope all the local guys are doing well.

...like the title says, IT finally went.

After about 4 years of it being driven about 100 miles each, last year I gave the 80 to my 16 year old son to daily drive. He was pretty good about watching the scangauge for water temp, and one day told me it was running hot. I replaced the entire cooling system, but evidently did not get to it in time. It ran well for a few weeks, but then I noticed the coolant level was low. Thinking maybe it just had an air pocket on my original fill, I filled it again and checked it daily, only to find it's burning coolant. It's a real slow burn off, and luckily it hasn't fouled the radiator with a coolant/oil mix. He's in a Subaru now because he isn't into learning about working on vehicles, and the 80 is back in storage.

It is definitely the HG, as sometimes when you park it, depending on how the exhaust valves land, virgin green coolant will actually drip from around the cats.

I contemplated selling it as I don't have time to do the HG job myself. Anybody know of a good local shop that can be depended on to tackle it and do it right? Anybody familiar with 2 men and a shop in Bennington?

Thanks
Shaun

Last edited:
I think it’s worth your time to call Toyotechs on 101 and J in Omaha. They seem like very honest guys and always use OEM parts. I’ve never had my land cruiser in, but my brother in law has taken his lx450 there a couple times. Sorry to hear that it went down. I just did my HG in February. It wasn’t too bad but it did take some time. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

I think it’s worth your time to call Toyotechs on 101 and J in Omaha. They seem like very honest guys and always use OEM parts. I’ve never had my land cruiser in, but my brother in law has taken his lx450 there a couple times. Sorry to hear that it went down. I just did my HG in February. It wasn’t too bad but it did take some time. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks Ed, I'll call them.

Any luck finding a shop? Looks like a nice rig.

Thanks. No, I haven't made any calls yet. I have 3 good recommendations in addition to yours. I have another project going right that is getting all of my free time and energy. I do need to get the 80 in probably in the next 2 weeks or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom