Has anyone turbocharged a 1PZ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy that I even got it running, but I am wondering why they chose to design it normally aspirated and if it can be turbocharged?

thanks for the help thus far! The thread is more of a thought for a future project as a/c will be the next big project.

yes. like all idi diesels they don't really like being turbo'd, but with care they can be successfully done. One I can remember is done by a guy in Canada who no longer is on here, though his threads still are, his first name I think is Wayne I think, can't remember his mud name.

yes. like all idi diesels they don't really like being turbo'd, but with care they can be successfully done. One I can remember is done by a guy in Canada who no longer is on here, though his threads still are, his first name I think is Wayne I think, can't remember his mud name.
teach me. What's idi? And why would that not be a fan of more air?

Idi=indirect injection. The engine is not designed for the added heat that turboing brings, or can bring. For example, the 2H I had (idi) had been turbo’d. When climbing any grades the water temp would climb faster than the egt. This was with I think 8-10psi boost. I ended up increasing the boost to around 14psi. One way I got the water temps under control was to get a custom radiator built, one of the features I changed was to make it 2” longer on the bottom ( more fluid quantity). I ended up with a cracked head. I changed it out with a 12HT (direct injection, factory turbo) and run 18-20psi boost with the same radiator and the water temps stay under control in the same conditions. All that just saying idi engines need more care from the driver(right foot) if longevity is your goal. I also had intercoolers for both engines.

teach me. What's idi? And why would that not be a fan of more air?

idi-vs-di.jpg

Direct injection puts fuel right onto piston for ignition

Indirect injection puts fuel into a prechamber or pre-cup then mixes air/fuel, ignites then goes into the main chamber

Direct Injected diesels (of which most all are today) are better at thermal efficiency, usually quieter, less soot, bigger performance and upgrade

Indirect usually aren't designed for turbos, (some are 2LT et al) and don't respond well to bigger boost, pre-cup issues/cracks, head issues from heat.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't turbo an IDI, there is just a lot you should do before hand. Cooling system in tact, all baselined everything good to go. Of course, @theglobb just slapped a SAAB turbo on a 3B IDI diesel and drove 6,000 miles cross country and back. :beer: :cool:

From what I've seen, IDI turbos can be ok as long as they are built/tuned properly, and not put under high load for long periods of time (ie. towing a large heavy trailer). Most people here have had decent success with their 1HZ and 1PZ turbo's, but then again, the rigs are mostly used for light duty run about and 4x4 activities. So if you just want a bit more power pulling away from a stop light, you would likely be fine. If want to tow a 18' camper across the US, you won't be fine, and a 1HDT swap would be a better option.

As said above, IDI's pre-combustion chamber is in the cylinder head surrounded by coolant, so there is a lot of heat loss to the coolant. DI's combustion chamber is in the piston, so is more thermally efficient with less heat lost.

Of course, @theglobb just slapped a SAAB turbo on a 3B IDI diesel and drove 6,000 miles cross country and back. :beer: :cool:
Definitely make sure your cooling system is up to the task!! I did the absolute cheapest turbo build I could, and while it stays cool at sea level with no hills where I live (as to be excpeted) it DID NOT like altitude and outside air temps being hot. Was pulling over on the side of the road a lot on inclines before my water temp hit 220, very stressful. I will definitely be rigging up some intercooler system as well as upgrading my radiator in the future, still, it made it 14,000kms across the USA with no breakdowns. However long-term engine life has probably been reduced, especially running the water temps hot through the Mojave and on hill climbs.

You're thinking of @crushers

I'm debating tossing a turbo on mine, I've previously built a turbo setup on my 3b powered rig and was very happy with the results. Didn't run much boost but made a huge difference at highway speeds and on hills. Make sure you have a mechanical temperature gauge, a Pyro and don't set the pressure too high.

I used a t3 from a volvo on the last one... Will probably do the same on this given the abundance of volvo turbos at the junk yard...

Having an extra large drain direct into the oil pan and hooking up the water lines on the turbo are highly recommended. Also make sure you have the correct oil pressure feeding into the turbo... When I first setup the last one I had clouds of blue smoke behind me from forcing oil past the journal bearings.

Last edited:
Good video showing dyno results at various stages on a 1PZ .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom