Hardtop Restoration Cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What have others paid to have someone else restore there fiberglass hardtop? I just got the bill from auto body shop that specializes in cruisers. Just to prep the fiberglass, fab up the metal gutter and visor from CCOT, install gutter and primer. I am looking at bill of $3400 not including the parts for the CCOT gutter and visor at $475. Which by the way the visor didn't fit, luckly he had an extra laying around. We haven't even gotten to the final paint, bed-liner in place of headliner and the install of the side panels yet. To his defense, my hardtop was pretty beat up with lots of spider cracks.

2017 02 20_6324.JPG

That's pretty pricey, but anything you have "done" on a Land Cruiser is expensive. Labor is expensive. That's why you learn to do that stuff yourself. This "cruiser" shop isn't in Benton City, is it?

Yeah not kidding, $65/hr is more than I make an hour that is for sure! I have been doing most of the restoration myself but wanted the fiberglass top done right. You learn as you go. The shop is around Spokane, they are just getting started up as a land cruiser only restoation shop. It's not the guys in Benton.

Last edited:
$3400 for just working on the fiberglass top? Or does that include the side panels. If it is just the fiberglass I think that is a very high price. I do know my body shop said the top was a ton of work to get it right, but the cost was built in to whole job.

I know that is what I thought. This is for the just the top only. I already had all the side panels painted before I found this guy.

I tried to picture my self-having an entire week off work to get this done and was thinking maybe 30 hrs max. Not much I can do though since it is my word against his and he has my top for ransom.

Here are a couple of shots showing where he
is at with it.

IMG_7140[1].JPG

IMG_7139[1].JPG

Last edited:
so they put the drip rail on the cap, cleaned, prepped and recoated the inside and out of the fiberglass?

edit
so the top is not refinished?
and they completely filled in the drip rail with sealant?
that's supposed to be a gutter for a reason.

Can i ask what shop?

Looks like they work on other cruisers also, so this isnt there 1st rodeo by the looks of it.

No chance id ever pay that much to have my top redone. Hell you could have bought one in mint condition for 1/2 the price.

For that kind of money it should look factory fresh. Filling the gutter up with sealant is not correct. I think one of the cool parts of the top is the visible rivets. They will probably tell you it will be better this way. That is debatable, but it isn't correct and they should know better.

Edit: Did they use rivets?

I think he knows he is getting bent over no need to keep rubbing it in... haha

Id really like to know the shop doing the work.

so they put the drip rail on the cap, cleaned, prepped and recoated the inside and out of the fiberglass?

edit
so the top is not refinished?
and they completely filled in the drip rail with sealant?
that's supposed to be a gutter for a reason.
Correct the top is not finished. Hell I am not even sure that they touched the inside yet. I have not seen the gutter in person but yes the picture appears to have filled it in but I think the picture is decieving.

Last edited:
My dad and I learned an expensive lesson when our tub was at the first body shop. The paint and body would have been a disaster if we would have left it there. The current shop has redone 100% of their work.

Another lesson that I have learned on my frame off is that sometimes it is more expensive to fix what you have than source a part that is in better shape to restore. If your top was in poor shape, 50 hours might be expensive but realistic. The way that they filled in the gutter isnt right and if it were mine, I'd have them redo it.

Outsourcing paint and body is horribly expensive to do right. Voice your concern on the cost and set expectations if you decide to proceed with them. I am going to be doing some of the grunt work on the small parts and top to keep the cost of painting somewhat contained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom