Ham radio testing option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ARRL Ham Radio License Test are given on the 1st. Saturday of each month, month at the Kearney Library 100 S. Platte-Clay Way 64060, You will need $15 Cash, testing starts at 9am and stops when all present are tested, you will need Your ID, a copy of your Ham License if you have one, a FRN OR SSN for your 605 form. For info contact bill.n0jja@gmail.com or give a call 816-289-6301 You may take as many test as you can pass for the $15. Please use the qrz.com practice test. You are ready to test when you are getting 80% on the practice test.

There is a limited number of test questions and the QRZ.com practice tests will randomly sample all of them. No charge for the practice tests so just keep taking them and you might be able to get the right answer memorized through repetition. Also, at the end of each test it gives you a link to the subject area(s) you missed to review if you want to really learn it.

Most people get hung up on the calculations. Most test administrators will allow you a blank sheet of paper for doing calculations. Memorize this picture and write it down on the scrap paper as soon as you are allowed to start the test. Then refer to it as you need to.

ham_calc.jpg

The first circle represents Ohm's Law where Voltage (E) = Current or Amps (I) multiplied by Resistance or Ohms (R).

The second circle represents Power Law where Power or Watts (P) = Current (I) multiplied by Voltage (E).

You just need to figure out which function the calculation question is referring to and plug in the known values.

Write down the definitions of the letters above if you need. My instructor called these the wagon wheels and as long as you could draw them your wheels wouldn't fall off during testing and you would pass.

You might also check with the club that is doing the testing up there to see if you can just come in for the test and/or radio option they supply for a reduced rate than traveling down to Kearney. Of course if you do come down, send me a message ahead of time and we can get together for lunch or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom