H3 vs V8 77 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No its not a death match but it may turn into one for someone:D

I was at the Perth Motor Show last weekend and the 2 vehicles that were attracting their fair share of onlookers was the H3 and the V8 77/79 series.

They have a few things in common.
First and most importantly they are in the same price bracket,about $60K AUD for the 4 dr v8 landcruiser and the H3 ,both with a few options.
They are both built on old platforms,the H3 on an old GM design and the Toyota landcruiser J7 which has been around since 84(hooray):cheers:
They also have a similar KW with the cruiser's V8 at 151KW and the 5 cyl 3.7 petrol H3 at 160Kw.

Thats about where it ends ,the H3 comes in some horribly bright yellows and reds that say come look at my POS:D
The cruiser still has its more restrained colours carried over from the previous model.

Im not sure the H3 going to be a big seller in oz,it has that retro look that has been around a little too long and maybe a shape that reminds people of an increasing unpopular conflict.
Aussies are not known for liking radical car shapes
It has big clunky oversize recovery points on the front bumper more at home on something much bigger .
I sat in the back seat and thought ,this aint too bad,till I closed the door.
Crap ,claustrophobia setting in,this is like sitting in an armoured car with the little windows.
I think these will have a quick turnover. They will get bought by owners who want others to look at them and when they realise its unsuitable it will be traded in.
Something else my brother and I noticed. The H3 had its own little HUMMER stand even though its to be sold here as a Holden H3.
It was near the GM Holden stand but more part of the Hyundai stand,seperated from Holden by the path to the cafeLOL
Almost as if Holden are keeping it at arms length in case it becomes an embarrassment like the Holden Suburban ,quietly withdrawn after 18 months of bad sales and worse reviews.

The landcruiser on the other hand has a long association with aussies in work and play. It has rock solid reputation,even a few tales of spun BEB didnt slow sales of the turbo diesel in previous models.
I heard wives saying "its the same inside as the old one" and husbands replying "if it aint broke dont fix it"

The comments the H3 was attracting were cruel and I wont repeat them:D

Out of the real 4wds at the show( Im discounting the Merc,BMW,Kia,Hondas etc)
I would have to put the H3 at the bottom against the 70 series ,Prado and Pajero which will be its main rivals in the 4dr diesel wagon class

a friend of mine has a H3 , independent front gutless 5 cylinder some in vancouver are pink i dont like them, next year GM is dropping the 5 banger and going with the 5.3 v8

diesel horsepower vs gas or petrol hp is like apples and oranges

They are talking about a diesel H3 for oz but I guess it will have to make a footprint 1st before they make a commitment .

Rosco funny you mention the comments wives make!! I was at the shopping centre the other day and toyota had the new V8 cruiser on display, told my missus "Thats what I want when we get a newbie" told her how good it was and how everything was simple and still the same as my 1985 cruiser.
Her reply was "Why would you want something that looks just the same as the old 4x4 when you could have something that looks newer" I replied the same as mentioned "They been doing something right for over 20 years thats why it hasnt changed, that in it self must say something"

James

Rosco funny you mention the comments wives make!! I was at the shopping centre the other day and toyota had the new V8 cruiser on display, told my missus "Thats what I want when we get a newbie" told her how good it was and how everything was simple and still the same as my 1985 cruiser.
Her reply was "Why would you want something that looks just the same as the old 4x4 when you could have something that looks newer" I replied the same as mentioned "They been doing something right for over 20 years thats why it hasnt changed, that in it self must say something"

James

Your wife's comments were kinder than some on the H3 stand. One hubby was admiring the H3 looks and his wife says" its fawkin ugly "and that was the end of the hubby's little Hummer fantasy:D

I was surprised to hear one young wife comparing the differences on things like the fuel line diameter ,exhaust pipe and fuel tanks from the old model:eek:
Turns out her and hubby own Armadale 4wd:D

I am not quite sure what the H3 is, or is supposed to be. It is ugly, overpriced, and a GM, I don't see the appeal. The visibility out of it is bad, I find it to be like the fjcruiser as far as visibility - very poor.

I am not quite sure what the H3 is, or is supposed to be. It is ugly, overpriced, and a GM, I don't see the appeal. The visibility out of it is bad, I find it to be like the fjcruiser as far as visibility - very poor.

The visibility was probably not too bad on a full size Hummer but when they shrank the vehicle they also shrank the windows.
The doors are also too thick,so thiick that it intrudes into the cabin space. Some might argue it makes them safer but other safe cars dont need doors 6 inches thick from armrest to outer skin.

I was kind of surprised to find it had rear leaf springs,pretty well everything else in the big 4wd wagon class is on coils or IRS these days(except the 70 series;) )

They are both built on old platforms,the H3 on an old GM design

H3 chassis = GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado... with some change

H2 chassis = Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 2 500

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom