GX470 Air Suspension Conversion - Front Only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read through tons of posts and can't find anything specific to this topic so I apologize in advance if it's already out there. Anywho, my '07 GX470 with 130k miles has blown front struts while the rear air suspension is in great shape. Eventually would like to get away from the air suspension and convert the entire system to coil springs with a 2" lift, but to save some $$ today, is it possible to just convert the front to coil springs and continue to use the rear air suspension until it finally gives out? Has anyone done this with either positive or negative experience? Thank you for your thoughts/experience!

Yes, what you want to do is possible and many people including myself ran with a stock rear air suspension and upgraded front coilovers.

You might want to read this thread for more general information on the suspension GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000

In that thread, pay attention to the stock oem electronically controlled shocks that let you set the suspension to sport, normal, comfort. You most likely will lose that feature if you don't use electronically controlled shocks. However, most of us don't value that feature and prefer aftermarket shocks.

The rear air suspension in terms of lo, normal, and hi continues to work as long as you have the stock rear air suspension.

My advice to you is create a roadmap in terms of what you want your suspension to be. Say for example pick Bilstein, OME, Dobinson, ICON, FOX, Radflo, Ironman, Kings, Toytec, whatever suspension you like. It's probably easier to match the shock dampening characteristics of the front and rear if you stay with the same brand, but it's possible to match across brands (just more difficult).

Then just replace the front coilovers with your choice of brand. Make sure that the front is height adjustable, so that you can start with stock height to match your current stock rear airbags.

Then when you are ready to convert the rear, you can adjust the front (some front coilovers let you adjust without taking off the springs) to match your new rear coil conversion (assuming that you want a lift).

In terms of experience, I bought my GX470 already with the rear airbags tricked (raised about 1.25" by lowering the rear height sensors). So, I don't have experience with the rear air bags being left at stock height and only upgrading the front coilovers. With the tricked airbags, the ride feels stiffer in the rear (or harsh). The front Bilstein 6112s feel great and comfortable, but now I want to upgrade the front to 650 lbs/in coils since I have added weight in terms of skid plates, tow points, and sliders.

Thank you for the great suggestions! Planning to work with Slee here in Golden on my build and I'm hoping they can assist me with my roadmap of what I'd eventually like my suspension to be.

Oh yeah, Slee is a great place to help you. It must be nice to be near them

My advice to you is create a roadmap in terms of what you want your suspension to be. Say for example pick Bilstein, OME, Dobinson, ICON, FOX, Radflo, Ironman, Kings, Toytec, whatever suspension you like. It's probably easier to match the shock dampening characteristics of the front and rear if you stay with the same brand, but it's possible to match across brands (just more difficult).

Then just replace the front coilovers with your choice of brand. Make sure that the front is height adjustable, so that you can start with stock height to match your current stock rear airbags.

Then when you are ready to convert the rear, you can adjust the front (some front coilovers let you adjust without taking off the springs) to match your new rear coil conversion (assuming that you want a lift).

In terms of experience, I bought my GX470 already with the rear airbags tricked (raised about 1.25" by lowering the rear height sensors). So, I don't have experience with the rear air bags being left at stock height and only upgrading the front coilovers. With the tricked airbags, the ride feels stiffer in the rear (or harsh). The front Bilstein 6112s feel great and comfortable, but now I want to upgrade the front to 650 lbs/in coils since I have added weight in terms of skid plates, tow points, and sliders.

Is there anything that the suspension adjustment knob can be used for or has anyone seen any writeups about that?

The knob that lets you set the shocks from comfort to sport only works if all 4 shocks are electronically controlled which typically means expensive OEM shocks.

As soon as you replace one shock with the typical ICON, Fox, OME, Bilstein, radflo, etc, you lose the knob functionality. If you still have all stock oem shocks, try the different settings to see if you notice any difference in ride quality from plush and comfy to harsh and sporty.

If that knob is useful to you, then stick with oem shocks. If useless, then get your new shocks on order.

A25EB1C8-2344-4330-8BCB-8102C0C7A357.jpeg

The knob that lets you set the shocks from comfort to sport only works if all 4 shocks are electronically controlled which typically means expensive OEM shocks.

As soon as you replace one shock with the typical ICON, Fox, OME, Bilstein, radflo, etc, you lose the knob functionality. If you still have all stock oem shocks, try the different settings to see if you notice any difference in ride quality from plush and comfy to harsh and sporty.

If that knob is useful to you, then stick with oem shocks. If useless, then get your new shocks on order.

I know that it only works with the OEM shocks. I'm planning on going aftermarket but I want to keep the factory air leveling with Firestone bags in the rear like others have done for towing reasons. I never really adjust the height in the rear so I guess I could get rid of this switch all together but it would be nice to keep it so I can completely turn it off if needed.

This is more along the lines of what I'm thinking. I'm just wondering if others have used this switch to control some accessories or if there are any aftermarket replacements that drop into this switch location so I can be reused for something else

I don’t think the helper firestone air bags work like you state to raise or lower the rig.

I don’t think the helper firestone air bags work like you state to raise or lower the rig.

I don't want to use them to raise and lower the car. I know that low will not work at all since the springs should keep the ride height at the "normal" height. I honestly have never touched the switch except once when I was loading a bunch of heavy stuff at home depot to lower it and make it easier to load. High should still work based on what I've read on here but I only want to bags to level the back when loading heavy items or towing which they should be perfect for. Not raise or lower then

I don't want to use them to raise and lower the car. I know that low will not work at all since the springs should keep the ride height at the "normal" height. I honestly have never touched the switch except once when I was loading a bunch of heavy stuff at home depot to lower it and make it easier to load. High should still work based on what I've read on here but I only want to bags to level the back when loading heavy items or towing which they should be perfect for. Not raise or lower then
Hey captainva, did you ever work on this project...aftermarket suspension and Firestone airbags with factory compressor? I'm considering the same, but want to talk to someone that has done it. Thanks!

I have read through tons of posts and can't find anything specific to this topic so I apologize in advance if it's already out there. Anywho, my '07 GX470 with 130k miles has blown front struts while the rear air suspension is in great shape. Eventually would like to get away from the air suspension and convert the entire system to coil springs with a 2" lift, but to save some $$ today, is it possible to just convert the front to coil springs and continue to use the rear air suspension until it finally gives out? Has anyone done this with either positive or negative experience? Thank you for your thoughts/experience!

I had the Rancho 9000 leveling struts with the OEM airbags and I like it. The shocks are 9 way adjustable from comfort to rock hard. You will need to crawl under the truck to adjust though. The GX takes the same year 4Runner Rancho leveling struts and raises the front just at 2". Honestly, the truck rode smoother, for me, with this setup than the ICON I replaced it with and I like the OEM leveling with my trailer loaded.

Hey captainva, did you ever work on this project...aftermarket suspension and Firestone airbags with factory compressor? I'm considering the same, but want to talk to someone that has done it. Thanks!

I personally have not done suspension yet to my rig but I got the idea from this site from a post that I saw by @HomersCanyonero. I don't think he ended up going that route but it was another member who did it first.

Thanks! I'm very interested in this direction. I put in a message to my Land Cruiser specialty shop this morning. (Desert Toy Shop in Mesa, AZ) I'll post when I know more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom