GX 460 front brake swap and pedal feel... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Swap to 460 rotors and calipers yesterday. Struggling to get a good pedal feel. For those who have done this swap, what can I expect in pedal feel / travel compared to stock?

Truck stops well, pedal is soft. When i do a rapid shallow pump, pedal firms up, which indicates air in system but I cannot seem to get it out. I've moved/bled nearly 1/2 of a liter thru the system. Anyone else struggle with this?

FWIW, this swap is easy, quick direct bolt up.

Jack the rear end tires off the ground and turn the car on. The booster is powered and requires the car to be on to get a proper bleed. Lifting the rear will help coax air bubbles that way.

Also, if you had the calipers off the lines, ensure that you put the left on the left and right on the right (nipples up). If you swapped them accidentally, it will trap air.

Calipers are correct. Got a bit more air out pf the line today. Better pedal but still soft.

can i expect the same pedal feel as oem with 460 set up?

48 mm piston vs 45 mm
It would need 14% more master cylinder travel to move the front piston the same distance. I do not have any problem and after break it it feels and stop much better that previous setup.

Many people that have problems got it fixed by using techstream brake bleed function. It run the master cylinder motor and open all the valve to help blend all the air. It seem if you let the fluid get too low it let air in the modulator assembly and the only way to get rid of it is to use techstream.

Search for techstream here. I think one of the other forum got a link to techstream download. You do need to source a PC and VCI cable.

i actually did this swap about 2 weeks ago. brake pedal felt a little soft right after the swap. drove it to a trusted indy lexus shop, and had them flush the brake fluid (new rotors and pads all around, new calipers up front, figured new fluid couldn't hurt). it stops great. actually took me a little bit to get used to how quickly the brakes respond now.

When I did this I also added stainless lines all around including from the rear axle to the body. Those definitely help to reduce the stretch in the lines and I have to push the pedal less than before to stop the truck (with more aggressive EBC greens). One thing to note is when you bleed the brakes, make sure you check the master frequently. If it goes dry bleeding it on the truck is basically impossible so keep the fluid level high.

Thanks for the info gents.... headed to a shop for bleed today. Good point on the SS lines to mitigate pedal travel difference.

Glad I saw this thread. Waiting on my new OEM GX460 calipers, pins, and parts along with the Akebono Performance pads all around. Already got the vented rotors for front (GX460) and rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom