grrrr...brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok i rebuilt my brakes and they pull to the left, the rears were not touched,
I rebled them and it still pulls to the left :bang::bang: double cleaned the disks and pads. no leaks what gives?? any thoughts?

82 toy truck

the left caliper is sticking, or the right one isnt working well.

you also need to adjust up the shoes if nessicary.

you could replace the calipers, and if you did upgrade! so order calipers for a 89 V6 truck for example

what do you mean by adjust up the shoes?
and will 89 4wd calipers bolt on?

Hijack alert!
So wristpin tell us more please. I have searched it long ago but am being lazy now. Last wheeling trip I noticed I pushed my pads one trip too far and now I need new rotors. So if I buy the 89 rotors and try to trade my 1980 caliper cores for 89 I will be golden?? Originally I thought I was after fj60 rotors because they were vented but??????? Are the 89 v6 vented and the same thing?

Thanks

IFS Calipers fit with FJ60 rotors on SFA Hubs

IFS rotors have a different hat depth.

what do you mean by adjust up the shoes?
and will 89 4wd calipers bolt on?

I'd start off rebleeding all 5 brake bleeders. LR, RR, RF, LF, then LSPV.

Pull off the brake drums. There is a wheel at the bottom of the brake shoes which will push them out. Both should be snug against the drums.

Sometimes that adjustment wheel get stuck with crud, which will make a truck pull one way or another. If that is happening, pull it off, clean it, and coat it with anti-sieze.

By any chance, do you have high-steer, dropped shackles, and a stock front spring hanger? Or if you have push pull steering, do you still have the panhard rod?

*Also, the self adjusting shoe wheel (star wheel assembly)'s are pretty much worth s***. There's a longstanding tech bulletin about needing to "Optimize" the shoe adjustment with at minimum every other oil change for all trucks through '95, excluding the early Tacoma.

I have to adjust mine on my '95 Runner about every other or every change.

You might have corrosion on the pistons behind the seals, causing the seals to stick or the piston(s) to not fully return/seat is also what I think people above are asking or hinting at.

what is LSPV.

stock steering without power

I'm sure its not the rear brakes the steering wheel turns quickly when I step on the brakes (but will look)
I rebuilt the calipers there is no corrosion

if the seals are not seated would'nt it leak----i have no leaks mc full

maybe inside the calipers the springs (on right side) are not straight??

LSPV = load sensing proportioning valve. It is located above the rear axle up on the frame and has a rod going from it down to the rear axle. The more the load in the bed the more the suspension squats resulting in the proportioning valve sending more fluid/pressure to the rear brakes.

ok but that doesnt answer all my ???????

if the bore of the caliper is not smooth it will cause the piston to seize

if there is crud in your caliper it will not function well

if there is air anywhere it will make a spongy pedal and poor performance

this aint hard to do, you just gott get in there and do it

ok but that doesnt answer all my ???????

*If your rig even has LSPV is would be the rod arm deal coming from the brake line junction on the frame before the soft line to the axle.

I put that bit in there for other searchers, generalized reply, but what Wristy clarified in my reply is your main thing to look at.

i cleaned and smoothed the boor when I rebuilt them so they should good to go. the pedal is solid..
yes it does have the lsvp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom