Grinding Sound Uphills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When i am driving uphill and radically slowing down when having to accelerate my rig makes a grinding sound. i don't know if this is normal or my tranny is going to hell. It does not do it when i am on level ground or wheeling, just when i need to give it that extra gas to creep up the hill. If you live in Austin TX, 2222 hill kills me. any feed back would be grand. :eek:
1984 fj60

Broken motor mount?

Peter

I wonder were it would be though, its not on the fan i cant see any signs of damage on the top of the fan casing, and its not a constant sustained sound like it would be if the fan was tearing into it.

Do your shifters rock side to side when you hear this noise? It sounds similar to my truck until I replaced my transmission mount.

Maybe the exhaust contacting something while the engine is torqued up? A motor/tranny mount could cause this.

x2 on the broken motor mount. the sound could be the fan tips hitting the shroud. You wouldn't necessairly notice damage to the shroud, but the tips of the fan blades could show signes of rubbing.

Also, are you sure what you are hearing is not pinging (pre-detonation)?

I would look into the pinging theory. I had an S-10 that would make a funky noise but only under heavy load over 75mph. It turned out to be pinging.

Try a higher grade gas for one tank and see if it goes away. Might not be it but it's worth a shot.

x4 on the motor mount. Accelerating uphill, turning to the left? If so, that's it. Look at the fan blades for nicks.

Try accelerating uphill turning right. If there's no noise, it's not the transmission.

Am i just going to have to live with the sound or is there anything thing that can be done to fix it?

I have had it since i first bought the rig seven years ago.

If it's a motor mount, you can replace it.

"grinding sound", can you describe more the characteristic?

Thanks for the link, one of the suggestions was to aplly the em brake and try and move forward with something in front of the truck to obstruct wheels and if the engine jumps or moves up and its easy to tell if the mount is broken.

I had the same problem, a broken motor mount had torqued my t-case. Drain your t-case fluid and see if it runs clear or cloudy, it probably needs replacing anyway. If it's cloudy you might be in trouble

If it is cloudy what does that mean?

Well some fluids are cloudy by engineering, but there's a very distinct muck cloudiness. Run the fluid through your fingers. Does it feel gritty? Then you definitely need to flush your t-case. In my case, my t-case was completely filled with mud (which, turns out, doesn't make a great lubricant). You may also have metal shavings where your gears of have been grinding. Check for metallic particles. Hopefully it'll just require a flush and not any major work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom