Grand Wagoneer wood project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a devoted Land Cruiser/ Toyota guy but wifey wanted one of these and I have been working on it for almost a year. Last major project is replacing the famous 3M DiNoc Marine Teak vinyl. Let me say, this is NOT a project for the faint of heart. It is a driver level truck and I am only replacing the vinyl and not the trim surround. My vinyl guy is good and said "NO PROBLEM! Just take the old stuff off and bring it to me." Obviously, he is an experienced professional.

I am 8 hours in!!!!! Heat gun, plastic razor blades, Goo Off, and rubbing alcohol is the order I go in. Wish me luck!

3089D3FA-7AF6-4FFC-9934-2DBD4B78D3D2.jpeg
796A76CF-5509-41E9-8A8F-629DBA8610F3.jpeg
A1E82B69-9850-4EC0-819F-EFBF50AE430F.jpeg

A1E82B69-9850-4EC0-819F-EFBF50AE430F.jpeg

Last edited:
Making progress!.......slowly :)

Wife's GW is complete!!! Well at least until it breaks again. Seriously, it is a pretty solid truck. No way is it Toyota quality, but still a blast to own and drive. Besides, she won't let me sell it.

4FCB3DCE-539F-48DD-AA26-052DF3C2B859_1_201_a.jpeg

B7778CE0-A7DF-49C4-B92F-9D8ECD84A8AC_1_201_a.jpeg

My mother had one of those, can’t remember the year, I think 1976. For what it was then it was very good but I don’t think it lasted very long. I was in the process of starting a business and getting married so I didn’t pay much attention. I do know that it cost $12,000.

The new version sounds interesting, competition for the Land Cruiser ?

Beautiful job! Wondering, what wood grain pattern is that & where’d it come from? I’ve got a 90 Grand Wagoneer scheduled for paint in Dec & am looking at wood options.

Beautiful job! Wondering, what wood grain pattern is that & where’d it come from? I’ve got a 90 Grand Wagoneer scheduled for paint in Dec & am looking at wood options.
thanks for the comments. It was a real long process. The Wagoneer restorers in Texas have the exact match kits. They are glossy and like the original. I choose to use a 3M wrap called DiNoc. It is a Matte finish which I think looks better than the gloss. It is not cheap but any vinyl wrap guy can buy it and put it on. My installer stretched. it a bit and it bubbles in the crease which really bothers me but in the hot sun in lays down. Make sure your installer takes that body line into consideration. I like the Matte finish. There were two colors/grains used on these trucks. One is a Mahogany and the other is a lighter color called Marine Teak. It depends on the year. Mine is the Marine Teak for a 1987. I removed the old wrap by hand. Plastic razor blades and heat gun. Horrible process! Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom