govenor weep (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Micheal told me how you hoard parts that might be needed ;)

I'm hoping the parts guys are generous on their estimate... If something comes up I'll pm you. Many thanks.

wesintl said:
Micheal told me how you hoard parts that might be needed ;)

I'm hoping the parts guys are generous on their estimate... If something comes up I'll pm you. Many thanks.

and Michael hoards cruisers that might be needed :D hah, got back at him!

when I started on my first cruiser (bad buy, no idea what I was doing, no idea about holding a wrench), I got stranded in Baja, and it took me 6 hours walking through the scorching desert to get to the next house (that had no phone anyway). The problem was a disintegrated EGR hose. Same truck left me stranded up the mountains in Coyote canyon in Borrego-broken slave cylinder. and then the rear wheel cylinders locked up. and the water pump went.
Now that I know a bit more about it I try to eliminate possibilities. Some places I go in Baja would be a bitch to walk out...
But he is right, I hoard parts :)

Ok.. who's changed one? The easy part appears to be removal. It's a tricky little sucker to install.

wesintl said:
Ok.. who's changed one? The easy part appears to be removal. It's a tricky little sucker to install.

just changed on ethis weekend on an HJ60, I assume it is pretty similar. The engine was out though.
Housing has 4 screws on it. If you release them, the housing will be pushed outwasrds by a spring that holds the diaphragm to the pump body. This spring (pretty big, you can't miss it) is not attached to anything, and will fall out once you remove the cap/4 bolts. In mine there were also 3 metal rings/spacers/shims between the spring and the cap, they can fall out too.
The diaphragm (on the 60) can slide off sideways from a holding pin (the diaphragm moves, not the pin) after taking out a small cotter pin that goes through the holding pin from top to bottom.
to install: slide diaphragm on the holding pin (there is only one way this works, since the diaphragm has a small protrusion that goes into a small recession on the bottom of the housing. slide on, reinstall a new cotter pin. This is a pain, but doable with long nose pliars.
then reassemble the cap with the spacers and the spring, and press it onto the diaphragm. all will fit pretty snug together.
put the 4 screws back on, done.
certainly much more of a pain with the engine in the truck.

Jan

It is sweet to hear the purring of a diesel again. I installed the new diaphram is she's idling fine now and got a nice little test spin today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom