Gosh Darnet

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by john0089, Jun 23, 2005.

1. john0089

john0089

I have bolted up my new th350 transmission. Today I went to bolt up the flexplate to the converter , I got the bottom bolt in CLKHERE but how can I get to the other bolts on the flexplate. The flexplate wont turn :frown: . The engine is not locked up because I was driving the cruiser when I parked it a couple months ago. I undid the front belts to see if that would help....nothing. Can anybody help?

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Should be able to get a screwdriver/prybar between the block and the teeth on the ring gear/flexplate, and turn it....

It should not be 'easy' but should also not be bound up...

Have you tried to turn the front pulley/balancer by hand?

Good luck!

-Steve

3. lone gunman

lone gunman

as you put the torque converter in did you turn it till it slid in all the way, was it hard to bolt the tranny to the engine like it had a gap and you had to use the bolts to pull them together, if so the torque converter isnt in all the way(lined up with the pump in the tranny). and also did you try a socket and breaker bar on the bolt in the center of the cranshaft pulley that useually turns a motor over. and if all ealse fails pull the plugs and try it then there will be no compression to resist the turning, hope this helps.

4. john0089

john0089

No, the torq converter was in all the way...the tranny installed fine. I'll try turning the bolt on the front of the crankshaft.

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

Hopefully you do not twist it off.....

The bolt that holds the balancer on the end of the crank is not really designed for that with a small block....

Good luck!

-Steve

6. chief

chief

If you can't turn it by hand try removing the crank pullies and screwing bolts into the holes the pullies bolt into. Be sure to screw the bolts in several turns so they don't pull out and strip the holes. you can then use a prybar on the bolts to turn the crank

7. ranger

ranger

Take out the spark plugs. I have always been able to turn them by hand. Wear gloves cause the teeth will bite.
    They do make a special tool for turning the flexplate, nice to have but I never found it necessary.

8. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

***HIGH JACK***
    Howdy Ranger.
    Brian from wildyoats, Been wondering if you used a different name here or not. :cheers:

Good luck on the T 3-fidy I would suggest the SP's as well, However...has the engine been in the weather at all? or lots of humidity? If so, It might have something to do with the sticking.
    Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.