Good Toyota Mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone refer me to a good toyota mechanic in the Asheville area that is reasonable and can help with things that are beyond me? Hoping to find one that maybe works for a dealership but has their own thing going on the side, but at least someone who knows them and the OEM stuff....

Thanks

Don't know about the "on the side thing" but Mostly Toyotas in Asheville is highly recommended.

Check with our club Pres, David Davis (Turkeypen). He is a regular customer there and can give you the low down.

Really? Wasn't that impressed with them, from what I have seen so far. Asked me to drop by with the cruiser to see if they'd even work on it, said that they won't work on crappy vehicles, excuse me but whiskey tango foxtrot? A mechanic that won't work on a rig because it is crappy, no I don't think so, and if so don't tell me about it....

Really? Wasn't that impressed with them, from what I have seen so far. Asked me to drop by with the cruiser to see if they'd even work on it, said that they won't work on crappy vehicles, excuse me but whiskey tango foxtrot? A mechanic that won't work on a rig because it is crappy, no I don't think so, and if so don't tell me about it....

We actually have a few mechanics around here that are like that too. It's not that the rigs are crappy, it's that the mechanics want to stand behind what they do and they don't feel like they can if other parts of the rig are, well, rigged.

But then again, I know mechanics that would do just about anything for a buck. Guess you just have to find someone you are comfortable with. I am using an "anything for a buck" mechanic for a few things on my rig, but with tight direction from me on what I want done. Then I plan on doing a bunch of work myself and having it checked over by the "by the book" (and more expensive, I might add) mechanic.

I second the not impressed with Mostlys- took my 4runner there yesterday for a rear end vibration- they tell me I need a new differential for 1500.00- Got pissy with me when I asked about other options like rebuilding etc. To top it off I paid over the phone for the inspection and drove from Duluth to pick it up- 1030pm in asheville and they forgot to leave the key. Had to go back to pick it up today again driving to asheville. Spoke to Rock Auto in Duluth and he said since the bearings were just done it more than likely has some gears out of sync- 700-900 max or as low as 200.00- but added there is no way to diagnose a diff without taking it apart- I have yet to find anyone in WNC to work on my toyotas- Peter Merriam is now getting all of my business- He is worth the 3.5 hour drive to Duluth- Let me know if you find someone that can handle brakes etc.

Last edited:
A pic is worth a 1000 words

Here is a shot of some Merriam Automotives Cruiser work- this is my FJ60 as of yesterday.

newtruckpicsa004.jpg

Nice work... the mechanic up there said that they would not help with my carb issues, I was told that these things were "money pits" hell any old vehicle is!! It's the fun that keeps ya going. I am not going to lie I have never worked on such a complicated carb as the one on my 60, but still I will try since these folks will be of no help. Anyways back to square one...

Carbs are a pain, especially the highly developed ones. I replaced a Quadrajet and it took me three mechanics before I finally found one that could tune it properly, an old guy in an out-of-the-way shop in Wilmington.
May be why so many fj guys go to the Weber, and small block guys go to the Edelbrock, and Harley guys go to the S&S Super E. Simpler is easier, even if it means you have to hand set the warm-up mode.
It's the fiddly stuff that makes it so easy to start when it's new that doesn't hold up.
Can't beat fuel injection.
b

Good to know. FWIW, I have never been there or had any experience with them.

I've only heard Turkeypen give them kudos on various occasions and was therefore passing on what I had heard.

Either way, good luck!

Sorry to read your experience was bad. I have been going there for 20 years now and have always had a good experience. A good experience for me is honesty in what they think is wrong and then doing a good job. The final tab is really not the issue for me, even when it hurts --- sort of like a big bar tab --- it must have been a fun night.

Like with everthing else in life, developing a relationship with a good mechanic takes finding the right mechanic for you plus some time, and what's good for me might not be good for anyone else. I hope you find a mechanic that you are comfortable with.

Even though your experience was way bad, I need to mention that Mostly Toyotas has also been very generous with the Club, saving cruiser parts for us to recycle, even giving us an electronic engine analyzer that was worth some serious change. Heather' carb, Jp's (I mean Mary Elen's) OME springs, Marshall's front bumper all were Mostly Toyotas recycles. Also, we got about 40 pounds of metric OEM bolts from them.

If you are having Carb issues, one of the best solutions is to send it off to Jim C. for a rebuild. That is a real specialty and I don't want anyone but an expert like Jim C. touching a Carb. I have a 2F Aisin carb that you might be able to send to Jim C. as a "core" if you can get him to send you a freshly rebuilt one. Just give me your old one once the new one comes in, that way you won't have much - - if any - -down time.

Good luck!

dont sweat it at all david. I appreciate the referral. It wasnt the bill amount...I just wish they would have been more upfront about the comfort level they have with the type of work I needed.

Tis so true about relationships with mechanics, it's like choosing a physician, some you like some you don't. Most of the time it is just feeling one out....I may take you up on the carb I need to learn how to disconnect the darn thing first, I am used to GM products (had an olds 442 when I was younger) and that is what I am used to disassembling, I can't even find the bolts that hold this thing on!! Any ways, if I do eventually find them I will shoot ya an e-mail. Any ideas on how much the rebuild is?

Check over on the 60's board for "Jim C." and shoot him an email with the year and model of your L.C. Should be about $300 bucks. Ask him if he will take an 82 Aisin 2F Carb off a 40 as a core (it's only missing the idle adjustment screw). Make sure you tell him what vehicle you have. This way, you can get the newly rebuilt carb in before taking off your carb.

Check over on the 60's board for "Jim C." and shoot him an email with the year and model of your L.C. Should be about $300 bucks. Ask him if he will take an 82 Aisin 2F Carb off a 40 as a core (it's only missing the idle adjustment screw). Make sure you tell him what vehicle you have. This way, you can get the newly rebuilt carb in before taking off your carb.

What a guy! This is a great deal. I love this club.
b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom