Going to be in SD this weekend. Trail recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whyturbothat.com
Hey folks,

I'll be heading out to SD from Tucson this weekend and I'd like to hit a trail on Saturday. I was hoping some of you from the area might give me a little guidance. We're looking for something fun and/or scenic. I don't mind some technical stuff but I will have my girls with me so I'd like to stay away from Bronco Peak level stuff (I really want to do that someday though).
I have a locked 80 with 2" of lift, sliders and 35"s.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I’d hit Anza Borrego on the way in, that way you can stop in Julian for a pie when you’re done

I’d hit Anza Borrego on the way in, that way you can stop in Julian for a pie when you’re done
That's looks awesome! That's another one to add to the list. Unfortunately I have to be in SD by 2pm tomorrow so I wouldn't have time. But Saturday I have the whole day. I am trying to not to drive too much more than an hour to a trail since I'll be traveling Friday and Sunday.

You can hit up Valley of the Moon. Its a fun trail you can jump on as soon as you get up to the top of the mountain (Jacumba).

I personally would not hit Anza or Valley of the Moon and save those for winter months, heat wave this weekend, Anza will be over 110 and Jacumba over 100!! Seek some altitude. But only traveling an hour really only leaves you w/ Otay Truck trail (will also be hot), or you can take the scenic loop around Corral Canyon (probably what I'd do).

Edit: Alternatively, in some circles they call this overlanding: Scenic Views in San Diego | The Dana on Mission Bay :cool:

I personally would not hit Anza or Valley of the Moon and save those for winter months, heat wave this weekend, Anza will be over 110 and Jacumba over 100!! Seek some altitude. But only traveling an hour really only leaves you w/ Otay Truck trail (will also be hot), or you can take the scenic loop around Corral Canyon (probably what I'd do).

Edit: Alternatively, in some circles they call this overlanding: Scenic Views in San Diego | The Dana on Mission Bay :cool:
I’m sure the guy from Tucson is no stranger to 100-degree heat.

I’m sure the guy from Tucson is no stranger to 100-degree heat.
Haha fair point! But is it enjoyable either way? And aren't 80s susceptible to heat issues, solo travel, etc....? I dunno... I don't see any of us going out there during the offseason, just sayin...

The heat doesn't bother me or my rig but I was definitely hoping for something cooler than my native lands 😅
What would you recommend if I extend my range?

Otay Mountain Truck trail would probably be a good easy run with the family or Dulzura trails. If the skies are clear you can see all the way to the ocean and skydivers jumping nearby.

Yeah Otay or Corral Canyon outside loop are probably your best options. Normally I'd suggest Big Bear area but man it'll be a zoo. This trail is a bit closer and will be quieter than going all the way to Big Bear Lake, ends at at Deep Creek, has a few fun parts. Wide open in that area too and you could tool around and make it as long a day as you'd like. Devil's Hole OHV Trail

Option is to head up to Julian and the Rodriguez canyon down to Anza and he can play in Anza Borrego on the way out.

Coming from Tucson and to escape the heat I would suggest Otay Mt Truck Trail (OMTT) starting from Pio Pico RV Resort & Campground off Otay Lakes Rd east of the city of Chula Vista. Its a shelf road with a bit of a pucker factor, simply because of the drops if anyone doesn't like heights, but it is a gravel road so no wheeling issues/concerns. There is a fun little offshoot climb just past half way up, to the left for a little 4lo fun that is a short up/back to a power line tower. At the top of OMTT make a right at Doghouse Junction and after about quarter mile make another right on a broken blacktop road and it will take you to the peak. Great 360 views of Tijuana, Southbay, San Diego, Laguna Mts. Return back to Doghouse Junction and turn right, continuing east on OMTT. If you want some more 4lo take the first offshoot to the right and follow that trail southeasterly up/over a short peak and then down. Make a left at the bottom and it will bring you back onto OMTT. Another right and continue on OMTT staying on the main gravel road and you will eventually end on Marron Valley Rd. Make a left and it will bring you back onto Hwy 94 just east of Dulzura. Make a left on 94 and back to SD.

Or if you want to view our local mountains go up Sunrise Hwy (S1) to Laguna Mtns. You will pass Sunrise on your way in from Tucson. Its the exit just past the Border Patrol checkpoint. About a mile before the top of Sunrise there will be a small fire station on the right. Just before that on the right side is a wooden sign for Thing Valley Rd. It is Desert View Rd on Google Maps. If you pass Burnt Ranchera campground you missed Thing Valley exit. Thing Valley is a 3 mile out n back dirt rd but it is a nice drive through the trees with a couple offshoots to explore/stop for lunch. After back on Sunrise take a right. About a half mile is the Laguna Mtn Store. Take the second right past the store and up to Desert View Overlook to get a great view of the desert and parts of Anza Borrego.

Wow guys! Thanks for all the advice! I'm thinking we'll hit the Otay Mt trail. It's only mapping 37 minutes from where I'm staying. The trail to Deep Creek is super tempting but the drive is a little too much for this trip.
Again, thank you all for chiming in. I really appreciate the help. And if anyone wants to hit the trail tomorrow you are welcome to join us.

Haha fair point! But is it enjoyable either way? And aren't 80s susceptible to heat issues, solo travel, etc....? I dunno... I don't see any of us going out there during the offseason, just sayin...
I haven't had trouble with my cooling system but a lot of guys around here add a second cooling fan. I'll probably do it eventually myself.
As far as heat goes I'm just used to it. It's a fact of life around here. In the hot months I try to hit trails near water or higher elevation if possible.

I would love to check out some of these trails with you guys when Sept/Oct rolls around. I'll have my sliders by then! We've checked out Coral perimeter trail it was nice and chill. Going to Otay Truck Trail this weekend, it seems some cooler weather moved in.

I haven't had trouble with my cooling system but a lot of guys around here add a second cooling fan. I'll probably do it eventually myself.
As far as heat goes I'm just used to it. It's a fact of life around here. In the hot months I try to hit trails near water or higher elevation if possible.
How did it go? I heard there was a non-affiliated local group of Yotas that went up there after a local meetup and one of them may have gotten stuck. Come across any yahoos? 😎

We had a really great time! I didn't see any toys but I did hook up with a couple of Rubicons
MVIMG_20200801_123627.jpg

My girls airing down the tires
IMG_20200801_104211.jpg

We did the short hike to the WW2 bunker. Didn't get a pic from inside but got this one from the top.
MVIMG_20200801_122219.jpg

There a couple younger guys in one of the Rubicons that were not very familiar with Landcruisers specifically from a capability standpoint. When I asked if I could follow him he warned that he'd be taking some difficult lines. I assured him I wouldn't try anything beyond my capabilities but I kept it cool other than that. I figured I let the rig do the talking. As suggested we entered from Pio Pico Rv park. Towards the beginning of the trail the Rubicon took a steep offshoot that had a decent step at the mouth and loose rock. I followed and actually got denied on my first attempt. Backed it up, turned on the lockers and popped right up. They were pretty impressed.
Aside from the whole driving a Jeep thing I honestly
couldn't have asked for met a more perfect couple of dudes. They knew all the little bypasses and out and backs to spice up the otherwise mild trail and we're just super nice in general.

Overall it was a great experience and the perfect trail for me with kids in tow. The views are spectacular and it wasn't to hot.

IMG_20200801_113727.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Hopefully I can come out again before to long and explore some of the farther areas.

IMG_20200801_125907.jpg

If it's any consolation you will still be rolling up hills at 2-300,00 miles and the jeep guys will be on their 3rd purchase. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom